PDA

View Full Version : Here's a hand for you - and tourney report

Ulysses
05-27-2004, 04:02 AM
So, I'm reading all this WSOP stuff and get TOURNEY FEVER! So I open up Party and look for the next tourney. Whoa - registration for one ends in 30 seconds! Boom, I sign up. OK, let's see what it was. $30+3, please be NL, yes, NL! OK, let's go. Let's say I play a little more LAG than normal in this one. I quickly vault up to 3k chips (I'm all in three times in the first two orbits) and then at 3500 chips take a big hit down to 1900 when QQ snaps off my KQ (no pair, no draw for me). I get back up to over 4000 when my 66 all-in on 457 flop holds up v. 25 w/ flush draw (avg stack is a little under 3000 at this point) and this hand comes up:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP2 (t1460)
MP3 (t3647)
CO (t4030)
Button (t4620)
akshawnd (t4145)
BB (t3975)
UTG (t1040)
UTG+1 (t2690)
UTG+2 (t1095)
MP1 (t1578)

Preflop: akshawnd is SB with 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls t100, MP3 calls t100, CO calls t100, Button folds, akshawnd completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t500) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
akshawnd checks, BB checks, MP2 bets t100, MP3 calls t100, CO calls t100, akshawnd raises to t1300, BB folds, MP2 calls t1200, MP3 calls t1200, CO folds.

Turn: (t4500) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
akshawnd bets t2745 (All-In), MP2 calls t60 (All-In), MP3 calls t2247 (All-In).

River: (t9552) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 3 all-in) </font>

Final Pot: t9552

Results in white below: <font color="white">
akshawnd shows 3d 5d (flush, eight high).
MP2 shows 6c 6h (three of a kind, sixes).
MP3 shows Td Kd (flush, king high).
Outcome: MP3 wins t9054. akshawnd wins t498. </font>

I pushed in my next hand and lost.

Tosh
05-27-2004, 10:20 AM
Short of hitting the 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, I don't know what else you can do.

EDIT: Btw its hard to tell when you're being serious or not.

Che
05-27-2004, 11:18 AM
Ulysses-

I don't know how you usually play, but I was at your table for quite a while (LuckyBadPlyr), and judging from your posts I'm confident that this is true:

[ QUOTE ]
Let's say I play a little more LAG than normal in this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think so. /images/graemlins/grin.gif And I didn't even see the three allins on the first few orbits!

BTW I folded the best hand (99) on the 457 flop, and was very glad I did when you hit your straight. The fold was an FTOP error, of course, but I thought you had hit a set (or at least two pair).

Bummer about the flush vs. bigger flush bustout. Must have happened after our table broke.

Hope to play with you again soon (especially if you're going to play that loose /images/graemlins/wink.gif).

Later,
Che

TheGrifter
05-27-2004, 11:34 AM
I agree with the other poster, it's hard to tell when you're being serious. I'm going to assume you're not since you posted that you were all in with KQ. Fold 35 preflop in the SB.

fnurt
05-27-2004, 11:38 AM
Maybe I'm the only one who assumed he was just sharing a hand rather than asking for advice. I mean, it's a pretty trivial hand, he invests 1% of his stack to complete the SB (getting 9:1 on the call), he flops a straight... what else is he going to do?

dmk
05-27-2004, 11:40 AM
You don't play 53s from the SB, 9:1 on completing?

I play this hand out the same way ulysses does.

TheGrifter
05-27-2004, 11:43 AM
The hand plays itself post flop. However I fold this trash early in a tourney. Personal preference is all. Even when you hit with this hand you're still very vulnerable.

TheGrifter
05-27-2004, 11:43 AM
I'd hit auto-fold before even seeing the action on the table.

Tosh
05-27-2004, 12:00 PM
I might play the hand for half a bet here and lose nearly all my chips if I did.

Bubbagump
05-27-2004, 12:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I play this hand out the same way ulysses does.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm probably wrong here, but wouldn't you be better off to check raise the flop for all your chips rather than the 1300? You don't really want someone calling with a better flush draw and backing into a higher straight. Just a thought.

Bubbagump

Ulysses
05-27-2004, 01:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
EDIT: Btw its hard to tell when you're being serious or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh. Well, the $30+3 wasn't a real strain on my bankroll and I was messing around quite a bit. I just thought it was an amusing run.

Ulysses
05-27-2004, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know how you usually play

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's just say that I'll probably play slightly differently in the $600+40 this weekend.

[ QUOTE ]
BTW I folded the best hand (99) on the 457 flop, and was very glad I did when you hit your straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's a close one in your shoes, but a good fold. I should have a set or a superdraw (say, 67 w/ flush draw) in most spots like that.

[ QUOTE ]
Hope to play with you again soon (especially if you're going to play that loose /images/graemlins/wink.gif).

[/ QUOTE ]

If you see me in a $50+5 or smaller MTT, there's a good chance I'll play like that. I sometimes change my mind about playing a $200 and go into "build a huge stack or bust out quickly mode" but I try to avoid that as much as possible.

Ulysses
05-27-2004, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree with the other poster, it's hard to tell when you're being serious. I'm going to assume you're not since you posted that you were all in with KQ. Fold 35 preflop in the SB.

[/ QUOTE ]

The post was meant to be more amusing than serious, but it was 100% true. My play in this tourney was far from serious, though.

The KQ hand went down like this. I have 3500. 6 limpers to me for like 50 each. I make it 500. One blind calls. Flop is Jack-high rags. He checks, I put him in for 1100, he calls w/ QQ.

In this hand (35s), with my stack, I will take a look at the flop in the SB hoping for a miracle. I won't burn off many chips on a weak draw here - I'm pretty much looking to bust someone with a miracle flop or else get out.

Seeing that I was playing just about every hand in this tourney, of course folding was not really an option with any two cards here, though. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ulysses
05-27-2004, 01:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
wouldn't you be better off to check raise the flop for all your chips rather than the 1300? You don't really want someone calling with a better flush draw and backing into a higher straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm less concerned about protecting my hand in this spot and more concerned about getting as many chips as possible into the middle.

Ulysses
05-27-2004, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Short of hitting the 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, I don't know what else you can do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hit the 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif ? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tosh
05-29-2004, 09:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That would a pretty hand but it wouldn't really help much.

jacki
05-29-2004, 10:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate having the idiot end of a straight flush though... /images/graemlins/wink.gif