PDA

View Full Version : Troubles with AK

Sully
05-27-2004, 01:27 AM
I've long had trouble with AK, and overcards in general...I feel that I have a lot to improve with my play after the flop, but not sure where to look. I thought this hand might be a good example:

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls.

Flop: (7.33 SB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.66 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.66 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 9.66 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 8.66 BB, won by UTG.</font>
<font color="#990066">Pot 2: 1 BB, overbet by UTG.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG doesn't show.
Outcome: UTG wins 9.66 BB. </font>

JTG51
05-27-2004, 01:40 AM
Easy fold to the turn check raise. You're only getting about 7-1 to call, which would be marginal if you knew you had 6 outs. He probably doesn't have QJ, so you're going to have 3 outs or less a lot of the time.

Sully
05-27-2004, 01:50 AM
I definitely agree with you on the turn check-raise....I have a habit of showing that I can't be pushed around. Definitely costs some bets, especially if I think about the situation and why he might make a move like that there.

On that line, what hand would you put him on here? He never showed, so we won't know the true answer, but I'd like to know your collective thoughts in these types of situations.

When I'm a poker legend, you can tell your friends you used to coach me.

Thanks!

Alobar
05-27-2004, 02:10 AM
If you've got a habit of showing you cant be pushed around, a thinking player (not saying this guy is one) isnt going to check raise you unless he has something cuz he knows you wont fold.

Hands he likely has are AJ or some pocket pair he thinks is good (and which at the moment is).

joker122
05-27-2004, 02:15 AM
A pf raise, a check called flop, and a check raised turn is often a set. I'd put him on JJ.

JTG51
05-27-2004, 02:16 AM
He could have lots of hands but check calling the flop followed by check raising a turn blank is usually a pretty big hand, especially against a preflop raiser.

He'll have something like TT or QJ that gives you 6 outs some of the time, but the important thing to consider is that he'll have AJ, AA, KK, or a set often enough that on average you probably have more like 4 outs.