PDA

View Full Version : blind defending

tolbiny
05-26-2004, 09:42 PM
In a 20+2 sng today and we were down to 4 players halfway through level 3, and for probaly 15-20 hands there were 2-5 flops seen with the rest just being blind steal or an occasional folded to the big blind. When this is happening what hands do you blind steal with, and what type of hands do you protect with in your blinds. I was slightly ahead of the Short Stack with T1300 to his T1200.
One example with the blinds at 50/100 i had A8o in the BB, and the button opened for T400.

T0asty
05-27-2004, 05:58 AM
I'm no expert but, with no replies, I'll reply to start the ball rolling.

A8 I would personally fold against a steal attempt unless I was the Big stack, I used to over aggressivly defend my blinds until, I saw the error of ways via PT.

The old addage of "you need a better hand to call a raise, than to raise yourself" springs to mind. Of course its also situational, if the stealer has been stealing a lot you could call with less.

If I choose to defend though, I tend to push (to avoid a raiseing war), also, you can I watch how people steal, if they sometimes push and sometimes raise 3BB, I have probably found the differance in there hands between mediocre and good hand.

This probably isn't that helpful, but I thought a reply would start hings off.

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-27-2004, 09:06 AM
4-handed, A8 is a fairly good hand. The biggest question you need to ask your self is whether or not your opponent will lay down AT to an all-in reraise.

How often has this player open-raised since it's been short-handed? How often have you reraised from the blind this game? Would this player take it into account if you've been playing tight in the blinds. What hands that don't contain an A or a pair would he raise with?

With AT, this is an easy reraise for me. With A8, I'd have to go by my impression of the player. Unless I view this player as ultra-cautious, I'm likely to play back at him with A8.

Nak
05-28-2004, 02:37 AM
I am new to SNGs, but here goes. On the bubble, I don't defend much at all unless the blinds are eating me and I have a couple high cards, in which case, I push. If I am the big stack (which is usually not the case by how tight I play early) I will bully. Short stacks will be trying to make a move (even on the bubble) and I want to get to the money!

Nak