PDA

View Full Version : Michelle Wie exepmtion to the US Women's Open

M2d
05-26-2004, 04:24 PM
is this fair? Should she have gotten this?

the USGA says that she would have qualified if she were accepting prize money (she would have been #28 on the money list this year, and the top 35 make it in). detractors say that it's just a publicity stunt to increase viewership.

jdl22
05-26-2004, 04:33 PM
I could be wrong on this, please correct me if I am. Can't the sponsors let in whomever they wish? I would assume for a womens event they couldn't let a man enter but short of that couldn't they let in a five year old girl if they wanted?

Seems pretty clear that they do these publicity moves all the time. This last year we had Annika Sorenstam (sp?) and Wie both enter mens events.

Isn't that what the sponsors' exemption is for, to raise publicity for the event so that the sponsors get their name out there?

Again, I know not too much about golf so I could be entirely wrong as to the point of the exemption.

M2d
05-26-2004, 04:38 PM
usually that's true, but the Open is a USGA event, and most players in the field enter via a few qualifying events (kind of like satelites at the wsop). Unless you fit certain criteria (top 35 on the money list as of a cutoff date, etc.) you have to go through qualifying.

JTrout
05-26-2004, 04:43 PM
You are right, sort of....
There is a difference in majors, though. The U.S. Women's Open doesn't have "sponsor's exemptions". But they are allowed to exempt a deserving player that isn't otherwise qualified. This instance is a good one, imo.

When Hale Irwin won his last US Open, he was exempted into the field.

HDPM
05-26-2004, 05:40 PM
Oh, for the days when the defending champion-Ben Hogan- had to qualify. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I have mixed feelings about this. I think the USGA has been somewhat soft on amateurism. I think they should be looking for ways to enforce real rules of amateur status. A USGA representative met with BJ Wie to "discuss" issues of amateur status surrounding Michelle. I think we are close to seeing a bizarre situation where Michelle is a professional for many purposes but isn't accepting prize money. Maybe I am wrong though. I think she is deserving in the sense that she is an excellent player and has won one USGA event I think. (Women's Public Links, no?) But I would also like to see her win some amateur stuff instead of competing, albeit competing well, in professional events. It sort of bothers me that the USGA is looking to her performance in professional tournaments more than amateur ones. I dunno, I suppose there is nothing really wrong with the exemption. I just worry the USGA is getting too soft on amateur status. But I am a ridiculous curmudgeon though and would like it if the USGA regulated amateurism a little more strictly. Even though golf is probably the last sport with any rules on amateur status at all.

My modest amateur rules:

1. If you didn't pay for your clubs, you are a pro. Period. Oh, your DI school gives all players a set? Well, use them to good effect on the tour. Your school can give you one bag, and 10 articles of clothing with the school logo per year.

2. I would reduce the limit on merchandise prizes in amateur tourns to $100.

3. Play in a calcutta = lose amateur status.

4. In prominent events, amateurs wearing clothing with logos would have to demonstrate proof of purchase. If you want to shill for titleist you pay for the privilege and prove it. You wear a hat some ball rep "left around"
well, send in a Q School application.

There's a few to start with. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

JTrout
05-26-2004, 06:21 PM
This exemption opens the door for her to compete in an amateur event- the (men's) US Publinx.

The winner of that event gets an invitation to the Masters.

The qualifying for the woman's US Open and men's US Publinx was on same date, I think.

ps. Do you really think Bobby Jones paid his own way? I don't know, but I wonder...

HDPM
05-26-2004, 06:26 PM
Yeah, the conflicting qualifying dates are the best reason IMO. If a player is trying to get in USGA events and can't because of conflicting qual dates, an exemption is more justified IMO. Better reason than "If she were a pro, she'd be making more money" IMO

I think Jones paid his own way, but I don't know for sure. I think he needed to be on the Walker Cup team so he could get his expenses paid to travel to England to play the Open and British Amateur. Of course, I think Walker Cuppers should pay their own way. LOL. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Clarkmeister
05-26-2004, 06:38 PM
Wow, you really are a ridiculous curmudgeon. /images/graemlins/smile.gif