PDA

View Full Version : The use of "Casper stacks" in online tournaments

Lottery Larry
05-26-2004, 03:09 PM
I wanted some opinions on the advantages or disadvantages to using "Casper stacks"- the practice of putting stacks in a seat for an absent player and blinding off their chips until they arrive.

My understanding is that in B&M, the remaining stack is usually pulled out of play at some point and you cannot blind your way into cashing out. I understand that online this is NOT the case.

My questions about the practice

- Is a Casper stack more of an advantage or disadvantage to the "ghost" player? Whether it is intentional, ala Phil Hellmuth, or merely accidental, does the player gain or lose by having their stack blinded off without having to see any hands at the beginning of a tournament?

- Is the presence of a Casper stack more of an advantage to the players that are seated near that seat (on both sides)?

- Do the other players at the table lose an important amount of EV being far away from a Casper stack? Do they suffer any significant strategy disadvantages as well?

- Is a CS at one table a big disadvantage to players at another table, without a Casper stack to strip dead money off of?

- If you can cash online with a Casper stack, does this become a much bigger advantage?

Please correct any mistakes on the practice that I have- and if there is another term for these absentee owner stacks?
Thank you
LL

Lost Wages
05-26-2004, 03:28 PM
Is a Casper stack more of an advantage or disadvantage to the "ghost" player?

Obviously, a disadvantage. You don't have to absent to not play a hand but you do have to be present to be dealt aces, get a free blind play and flop the nuts, etc.

Is the presence of a Casper stack more of an advantage to the players that are seated near that seat (on both sides)?

You want a casper stack on your left so you can "steal" his blind, open raise from the CO etc.

Do the other players at the table lose an important amount of EV being far away from a Casper stack? Do they suffer any significant strategy disadvantages as well?

Uh...if the casper stack is not on you left then you have a disadvantage to players who do have it on their left.

Is a CS at one table a big disadvantage to players at another table, without a Casper stack to strip dead money off of?

Not a big advantage early in the tournament, but increasingly more important as the limits increase.

If you can cash online with a Casper stack, does this become a much bigger advantage?

Not sure I understand the question. If you are in a tournament where the players are so bad that you can make the money by being blinded off then a decent player would do even better by playing.

Lost Wages