PDA

View Full Version : The use of "Casper Stacks" in multi-table tournaments

Lottery Larry
05-26-2004, 03:06 PM
I wanted some opinions on the advantages or disadvantages to using "Casper stacks"- the practice of putting stacks in a seat for an absent player and blinding off their chips until they arrive.

My understanding is that in B&M, the remaining stack is usually pulled out of play at some point and you cannot blind your way into cashing out. I understand that online this is NOT the case.

My questions about the practice

- Is a Casper stack more of an advantage or disadvantage to the "ghost" player? Whether it is intentional, ala Phil Hellmuth, or merely accidental, does the player gain or lose by having their stack blinded off without having to see any hands at the beginning of a tournament?

- Is the presence of a Casper stack more of an advantage to the players that are seated near that seat (on both sides)?

- Do the other players at the table lose an important amount of EV being far away from a Casper stack? Do they suffer any significant strategy disadvantages as well?

- Is a CS at one table a big disadvantage to players at another table, without a Casper stack to strip dead money off of?

Thank you
LL