PDA

View Full Version : Does Kerry Flip-Flop?

theBruiser500
05-26-2004, 01:01 PM
I don't like Bush, I'm very libreal but I'm trying to be objective here, that's where I'm coming from.

All Republicans say Kerry "flip flops" on everything all the time, and it even seems like Democrats or the people inbetween say the same thing. I'm not entirely convinced yet, and here's an example.

Republicans say that Kerry was first in favor of the war, and now he's against it. Kerry responded to this by saying he was in favor of the war with three caveats, I only remember one right now (hopefully someone can add the other two), which was that he was only in favor of the war if Bush got a lot of international support and since Bush did not do this Kerry is now against the war. In which case Kerry is not flip flopping, it's just he had a nuanced intelligent view of the war.

I have not heard Republicans take this debate to the next level and respond to Kerry's response. So, am I missing something and Kerry really did flip flop on Iraq or are Republicans just bashing him?

pudley4
05-26-2004, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So, am I missing something and Kerry really did flip flop on Iraq or are Republicans just bashing him?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes.

cardcounter0
05-26-2004, 01:40 PM
Yes, he flip-flops. It is much better to form an opinion based on pre-conceived notions and what a group of like-thinking closed minded individuals tell you. Then doggedly stick to that opinion no matter how much reality tries to intrude.

elwoodblues
05-26-2004, 02:07 PM
Kerry doesn't flip-flop.

elwoodblues
05-26-2004, 02:08 PM
Kerry flip flops all the time

adios
05-26-2004, 02:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So, am I missing something and Kerry really did flip flop on Iraq or are Republicans just bashing him?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny given what he's stated in the past about WMDs and such. Democrats have done more than their share of Bush bashing IMO. Here's the deal, Bush has "flip-flopped" as well. He was opposed to "nature building" pryor to 9/11 and now he's for it as an example. Flip-flopping isn't so bad and in fact it's inevitable and perhaps desirable. IMO a major problem with politics and politicians is their incessant pandering and lack of ethics. Both parties are probably equally as bad. Can you honestly tell me what the difference is between Kerry's proposed policy for dealing with Iraq and Bush's plan in dealing with Iraq? Neither presidential candidate IMO is very clear on their policy objectives and programs. Both parties leave a lot to be desired in how they're conducting their campaigns FWIW. The question in my mind is why is that. I believe it's due to the fact that the voting public really doesn't demand ethical behavior and truthful discourse.

GWB
05-26-2004, 07:27 PM
Yes, he flip-flops.

He is also an Angle Shooter. (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=694&e=2&u=/ap/20040526/ap_on_el_pr/kerry_convention)

Utah
05-26-2004, 11:45 PM
Its not a question of whether he flip flops (he does constantly). Nothing wrong with changing your mind when the facts support it. The problem with Kerry is that he stands for nothing. He tries to be on all sides of every issue. I love his quote, "I voted for it before I voted against it".

John Edwards said it perfectly during the debate, "that is the longest answer I have ever heard to a yes or no question".

Kerry is Clinton, but with a lot less skill and without the sexual problems.

At least with GwB, I get a sense he actually has convictions, even if they are often the wrong ones.

Kerry also sounds like a scumbag for what he did to his fellow soldiers in Vietnam. Most of the people who served with him on the swift boats think he is pure scum (funny how the media hasnt reported that). And, if you take Kerry at his word, he is an admitted war criminal.

ThaSaltCracka
05-27-2004, 01:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Kerry is Clinton, but with a lot less skill and without the sexual problems.

[/ QUOTE ]
without a doubt

[ QUOTE ]
At least with GwB, I get a sense he actually has convictions, even if they are often the wrong ones.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree as well

[ QUOTE ]
Kerry also sounds like a scumbag for what he did to his fellow soldiers in Vietnam. Most of the people who served with him on the swift boats think he is pure scum (funny how the media hasnt reported that).

[/ QUOTE ]
actually I have seen reports from the media showing both what you are asserting as well as refutting what you are saying. I have started to look at this as a mute point because I think people on both sides of the story have simply polical aims and thats why they are teling their story.

Utah
05-27-2004, 08:28 AM
"actually I have seen reports from the media showing both what you are asserting as well as refutting what you are saying. I have started to look at this as a mute point because I think people on both sides of the story have simply polical aims and thats why they are teling their story."

Certainly, there is a huge political component to the story. Fox News ran a funny story about how both sides lose their principles if they can use it to attack the other side Bush Kerry Hypocrisy (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,121029,00.html)

However, some of the Swift boat crews have been calling Kerry a scumbag for 30 years, so I tend to believe them. One even debated Kerry on the Dick Caveat show in the 70s because he hated Kerry so bad.

ThaSaltCracka
05-27-2004, 07:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
However, some of the Swift boat crews have been calling Kerry a scumbag for 30 years, so I tend to believe them. One even debated Kerry on the Dick Caveat show in the 70s because he hated Kerry so bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
My whole point is there are people from his crew that hate him and there some that like him, so because of this its a non issue for me. Personal opinion on both sides