PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone play this differently on the bubble?

Pitcher
05-26-2004, 11:07 AM
Hi All,

Situation is 4 left. Player with big stack has been near maniac aggressive. The issue is risking everything when there is a good chance to coast to 3rd place. When the big stack bet out I could put him on random cards and figured he would call my all in.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB (t2960)
Hero (t1520)
UTG (t380)
Button (t5140)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">Button raises to t900</font>, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t1520 (All-In)</font>, Button calls t620.

Flop: (t3190) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in) </font>

Turn: (t3190) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in) </font>

River: (t3190) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in) </font>

Final Pot: t3190
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: t3190 (t3190), between Hero and Button.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Button (t3190).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Jd Jh (one pair, jacks).
Button shows 5c 8h (straight, six high).
Outcome: Button wins t3190. </font>

Ian J
05-26-2004, 12:20 PM
I'd have probably went for the stop n go here. Since his most likely holding is 1 or 2 overcards, try to give him a chance to fold the flop. He may still call w/ overcards, but he certainly wouldn't have called that flop w/ 85o. The problem w/ pushing pre-flop is, he's calling, and he gets to see all 5 cards, making your hand less likely to hold.

FloppedFlush
05-26-2004, 12:38 PM
If it were a situation where doubling up would only move you from a distant third to a less distant third (or even 2nd), then I'd play conservative and just ease into 3rd. But, winning this hand puts you basically even with the chip leader and most likely you're either ahead or way ahead, so I think this is an easy all-in to gamble with.

Phil Van Sexton
05-26-2004, 12:42 PM
All-in, 100% of the time. The shortstack could easily triple-up and pass you on the next hand, so that's not a factor to me. I'm also trying to win, so I'd rather take a shot at doubling up to $3000 rather than limping into the money with $1200 or less.

Calling is an interesting option. Maybe you could get away from a flop like AKQ, but that's unlikely. I think it's more important to come over the top of the maniac and slow down his blind stealing on future hands.

(I know there were no future hands for you, but if I had JJ and I knew he had 85o, that's what I would have done.)

AA suited
05-26-2004, 01:35 PM
with a pair, you are a 53% favorite over someone with 2 overcards. and even bigger favorite if they only have 1 overcard.

With JJ, i would have risked it and went all in as well.

Pitcher
05-26-2004, 02:18 PM
Hi Ian,

I see your point on the stop and go. I will consider playing it that way in the future. QQ-1010 are perfect hands for this.

Pitcher

pokerraja
05-26-2004, 02:39 PM
I dont blame the chip leader for being so aggressive. He's thinking he will steal your blinds for sure. especially with 4th place close to busting out. but back to your play. I think it was correct thing to do. You cant pass this oppurunity to double up especially when your almost certain your the favorite. I think it comes down to this.-

A) how important is making the money vs. not making the money?
B) realize that if you win this hand, your chip leader. and can really do some damage.
C) If you fold this hand, your essentially fighting for 2nd place money. and we all know the way these tourneys are set up, that 1st place money is the best! so go for the gold!

Phil Van Sexton
05-26-2004, 02:43 PM
I'm not really sold on the stop and go here. Given the read of this player, he would only fold on the flop if he had absolutely nothing. Any overcard, pair, draw and he calls you.

Basically, you let him off the hook for $620 when you are 95% favorite to win the pot. Sure, you are out of the tournament if he goes runner-runner, but I can't imagine this is a +EV play.

Put it this way, let's say I told you ahead of time "he has 86 and the flop will be T32", would you move all-in or stop-and-go? I certainly wouldn't let him off the hook for the 620.

Pitcher
05-26-2004, 03:08 PM
Hi Phil,

If you stop and go he may drop the hand on the flop. I had no intention of laying the hand down. I agree that he might have called anyway, but it is hard to believe. I think Ian has a point here and I will at least consider playing it the way he suggests in the future.

Pitcher

Jason Strasser
05-26-2004, 03:15 PM
To chime in with Ian, this is a very good spot for a stop and go. He probaby has crap, and you give him a chance to throw his crap away. But pushing all in is fine. Bad beat.

Phil Van Sexton
05-26-2004, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you stop and go he may drop the hand on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point was simply that I don't want him to drop the hand.

If you did a stop-go and you knew he had 86, would you want him to fold to your $620 bet after that flop? I wouldn't. I want that additional $620. If you move all-in pre-flop, he doesnt get the chance to get away from the hand.

Also, don't forget the importance of protecting your blind. If he is stealing with garbage like 86, he's not going stop because you called him and let him see the flop for free. You need to send a message that you will come over the top of him for all your chips.

tolbiny
05-26-2004, 03:34 PM
"C) If you fold this hand, your essentially fighting for 2nd place money. and we all know the way these tourneys are set up, that 1st place money is the best! so go for the gold"

I dont buy this statement here, you are not down to there where fighting for 1st means you will be getting first or third, or you will be getting second.
here its first or fourth- and you still have decent postion in the game, especially with the small stack going allin on his next hand. (he essentially is with the maniac raising every hand). Also if the guy continues to play this way after the bubble you should have a good chance at going all in as a favorite pretty soon again.
that being said my chips are all-in in this pot . JJ against two random cards is jut to good to pass up- but i would be alot more carefull with a hand like AJ