PDA

View Full Version : Rebuying in Lim HE Tourneys

fnord_too
05-26-2004, 07:05 AM
I've been thinking a little about rebuy strategy in Limit rebuy tourneys (odd combination, I know). Here's why I have been thinking about it. The last two nights I've played in Prima's nightly 10k guarantee. Both nights it was Limit hold'em (normally it is NL, occasionally PL). The buyin was 20+2, with 20+0 rebuys and a 20+0 add on. Both nights there was a nice overlay from prima (like $1700+ last night, only 615000 TC in play after the rebuy period ended). Both nights I rebought (once) to keep my chip count high and added on, and both nights I had my share of luck and finished fifth.

Here was my logic, I'd like to know what you think. (I have not played many Lim touneys, and these were the first with rebuys).

It is more important in a limit tourney to have chips than in a no limit tourney. This is because it is so much harder to double through. Also, you are going to lay down more hands post flop since you will be all in or pot comitted less often before the flop. So, it seems that in the early and middle parts of the tournament, chips are worth more, so you should risk more money in terms of rebuys and add ons to get as many as you can. Oddly, it seems easier to come back from a short stack late in a limit tournament, once the blinds get really large. (I was fourth out of seven the first night and had less than 5 big bets in front of me, so the blinds were taking 15% of my stack a round! and this was only 2.25 hours into the tourney).

So I guess my hypothesis is this: It is more correct to rebuy and add on liberally in a limit tournament if you are above average (compared to the field) than it is in a no limit tournament.
What do you think?

Eric

p.s. I appologise if this post is a bit incoherent, the downside of making two final tables on consecutive nights is that it has severely cut into my sleep.