PDA

View Full Version : Hand for Review: 88 in MP

Warik
05-26-2004, 12:48 AM
No reads on anybody. Hand converter is wrong about my position - I was MP1 not UTG+2.

Basically I flopped a super duper monster and was wondering if there was a better way to extract bets than the route I took.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, Hero raises, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 3-bets, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (10.40 SB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks, MP3 bets, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (6.70 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks, MP3 bets, Hero raises, MP1 folds, MP3 3-bets, Hero caps, MP3 calls.

River: (14.70 BB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero bets, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 16.70 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 16.70 BB, between Hero and MP3.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (16.70 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows 8s 8d (four of a kind, eights).
MP3 shows Ah Ac (two pair, aces and eights).
Outcome: Hero wins 16.70 BB. </font>

asdf1234
05-26-2004, 01:26 AM
You got 5 bets on the expensive street with quads, dude, what do you want him to transfer his entire account to you?

crockpot
05-26-2004, 01:32 AM
i would bet the flop, and if no one raises, bet the turn as well. it's unlikely either opponent will put you on trips after you raised preflop. if MP3 has an overpair he will probably raise your flop bet and bet the turn anyway, and you can trap MP1 for more bets, and possibly win more from MP3 as well. if MP3 has overcards and you check to him, he will often check the turn and you will lose out on a ton of action.

if you bet and get raised on the flop, i would consider betting again on the turn depending on the opponent. against some players they will get confused and start calling you down, but most will raise again with a big overpair giving you a chance to 3-bet.

BaronVonCP
05-26-2004, 04:04 AM
Bet the flop. Call a raise, and bet again. You need to trap the middle guy for as much as possible and not force him to call 2 cold on the turn.

But whatever. Its hard to not make a lot of money in this spot.

Thomsen
05-26-2004, 06:23 AM
start using bisons converter instead

http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi

Thomsen
05-26-2004, 06:24 AM
bet out on the turn ?

Warik
05-26-2004, 09:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You got 5 bets on the expensive street with quads, dude, what do you want him to transfer his entire account to you?

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds great! How do I do that? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Seriously - my question was more along the lines of "did I do this the best way?" rather than "can I extract more?" Last time I flopped quads I won the blinds. I'm very happy with the results of this hand, just wondering if I took a big risk of missing bets in this hand and perhaps there is a more optimal solution to this problem.

Warik
05-26-2004, 10:15 AM
Straight out betting might be the way to do it since I raised PF and nobody is likely to put me on anything with no overcards out there.

I'll try that next time. Thanks guys.

P.S. Thomsen, I am using bison's converter.

asdf1234
05-26-2004, 10:15 AM
I will say this, checkraising the turn usually signals a big hand and almost all players will slow down. You were fortunate that you were against a (at least somewhat) thinking, aggressive player who figured you could not have an 8. Most of the time, you're not going to win much with quads, simply because nobody else can like their hand that much. I think you could have check-raised the flop, probably gotten 3-bet, smoothcalled, then checkraised the turn (hopefully to get 3-bet again). People usually don't believe flop checkraises as much as turn ones.

Edit: Betting out repeatedly may be the way to go with the other player in between, I should re-read the original post before I reply. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

PokerNoob
05-26-2004, 01:17 PM
Two things. You know MP3 already likes his hand because he 3-bet it preflop. He won't put you on an eight until much later, if at all. If he's got a high pocket, he may start raising, if not, he's at least calling for a street or two. Second thing is that you have a player between that you want to trap for bets as long as he is hanging around. Who knows, maybe he's on a flush draw and will hang around calling raises between the two obvious (to him) overpairs. As far as the eights go, I think it actually looks less suspicious for you to ram and jam from the flop onwards, rather than checkraise the turn rag. There will also be that one time in a million where he's got 66 and you cap on all streets.