PDA

View Full Version : Gus Hansen out!

William
05-25-2004, 09:28 PM
From pokerpages.com:

6:20 PM
139 players remaining.

A huge hand at the feature table:
Gus Hansen opened for $9,000, and was called by Matthias Andersson and Frank Braybec. The flop came 10s 5h Ks. Hansen bet out $13,500, Andersson called, Braybec reraised $50,000, Hansen raised all in for $76,000, Andersson called, Braybec reraised all in, and Andersson called.
Braybec showed Kd 10c (top two pair), Hansen showed 8s 5s (bottom pair w/ flush draw), and Andersson showed As Qs (nut/royal flush draw, inside straight draw). The turn came 4h, the river came 3s. Andersson made the nut flush, and won the $560,000 pot. Hansen was eliminated, and Braybec was down to about $70,000

Gus caught playing 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

It's not like the guy doesn't have a reputation of playing rags.

Brilliant or plain stupid?

Lori
05-25-2004, 09:30 PM
Brilliant or plain stupid?

Other than the initial raise (which is probably how he built his stack anyway) I can't see any other way to play this pot.

Lori

Tosh
05-25-2004, 09:33 PM
Typical Gus raise which is why I love his play. After that just how the hand had to be played IMO.

La Brujita
05-25-2004, 09:34 PM
I love to play pairs and a flush draw very strongly but I don't think this was a fantastic play.

I would like it better without the flat call by Andersson which looks like a flush draw or a flopped set to me. Of course with a set and a four flush on the board a raise would be in order by Andersson so what else would a flat call indicate other than a flush draw?.

I love the play heads up but not with two others putting money in the pot. If one is on a higher flush draw you are in real trouble.

Also hard to know without other stack sizes but looks like he didn't have leverage to push made hands out.

What do you think W?

Stew
05-25-2004, 09:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I love to play pairs and a flush draw very strongly but I don't think this was a fantastic play.

I would like it better without the flat call by Andersson which looks like a flush draw or a flopped set to me. Of course with a set and a four flush on the board a raise would be in order by Andersson so what else would a flat call indicate other than a flush draw?.

I love the play heads up but not with two others putting money in the pot. If one is on a higher flush draw you are in real trouble.

Also hard to know without other stack sizes but looks like he didn't have leverage to push made hands out.

What do you think W?

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent analysis, I feel Gus should have clearly folded to Braybec's re-raise on the flop.

William
05-25-2004, 09:52 PM
LB, I agree with what you say.
I think the reason he pushed all-in after the flop is because he was quite shortstacked by that time. Gus has always been a very lucky guy as well and that too influences his decision.

I am not that concerned about the post-flop play, he got trapped, he probably knew it, but he had some outs and because of his stack size he took a chance. Had he won the pot he would also had been one of the chip leaders and he would have runned over the table.

What I think was a mistake was getting involved in the pot in the first place, but again, I was not there to see it and he probably had his reasons to play like he did.

W.

Stew
05-25-2004, 09:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
LB, I agree with what you say.
I think the reason he pushed all-in after the flop is because he was quite shortstacked by that time. Gus has always been a very lucky guy as well and that too influences his decision.

I am not that concerned about the post-flop play, he got trapped, he probably knew it, but he had some outs and because of his stack size he took a chance. Had he won the pot he would also had been one of the chip leaders and he would have runned over the table.

What I think was a mistake was getting involved in the pot in the first place, but again, I was not there to see it and he probably had his reasons to play like he did.

W.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think he was that short stacked, 76K would still have been a decent stack, I think average at the time would have been around 125K.

Tosh
05-25-2004, 10:00 PM
I think there are several other hands he can put the call on, the bet wasn't massive. It looks worse after the flush draw was out there, but if it wasn't it might well have been worth the gamble. I'm sure he backs himself strongly with a big stack.