PDA

View Full Version : Build Your Child's Self-Esteem!

Bill Murphy
05-25-2004, 08:33 PM
Apparently, all the youth sports leagues here no longer have All-Star teams or MVP awards, but EVERY kid gets a "Valuable Player" trophy. *siGh*

HDPM
05-25-2004, 11:57 PM
Easy enough to conteract this as a parent. Simply do what my father saw the father of a very famous tennis player do when his offspring were kids. Very famous player won the tournament so he was ok. Sibling however finished second in a different division. Just take the trophy, throw it in the trash, maybe hit the kid a little, and say something like "In this family we don't celebrate losing. You are a loser." Something like that. In these leagues you can just rip away the trophy and say "If you were any good they would have given you an MVP trophy, not just the same award everybody got. Since everybody on your team was a loser they gave you all a loser trophy. Loser."

Of course, you have to prepare your kids by yelling at them during the season. Telling them things like:

"We don't lose in this family."

"You disgraced us out there today."

"I am ashamed you are my child."

"After all the money we spent on you, you really let us down."

See, easy to fix the softness of the league. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

(For those wondering, this post is sarcastic. I am just pointing out some behaviors one sees in youth sports. I don't condone ruining your kid's life in real life.)

scalf
05-26-2004, 06:49 AM
/images/graemlins/grin.gif read to your children..every day...

you'll love it...

when you're on your final lap in this vale of tears: your kids will remember the time you spent with them; not the meaningless baubles collected which very quickly go somewhere else...

just the truth..

jmho

gl /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

BeerMoney
05-26-2004, 09:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Apparently, all the youth sports leagues here no longer have All-Star teams or MVP awards, but EVERY kid gets a "Valuable Player" trophy. *siGh*

[/ QUOTE ]

Just like every kid has an A average in school whether they can read or not. Our society is too soft. If Jimmy sucks at something, its ok for him to suck, and its ok for him to know it as well.