PDA

View Full Version : Changing of the Guard

paland
05-25-2004, 05:02 PM
I've always felt that many of the so called "Pro's" are just good poker players who got a good run of cards. I think that many of them are whining about amateurs beating them when they are the ones who got lucky in the past. There are many people who were good poker players but could not afford the tournament in the past. Now that the internet is here and many can qualify from their own home, they have this chance. Many of them play many more hands than the "pro's" ever did. I firmly believe that I would have just as good as a chance as anyone else at this tournament and next year I am going.

Some hero worshipers will say that the "pro's" got beat because bad players called their bluffs. But just maybe the person figured that the "pro" was bluffing because that is what many do. Annie's interview is a prime example. She said "A pro wouldn't call with an Ace". I say, with a 6554 on board, the person knew that Annie wouldn't have had any of those cards in her hand and that some could say that she was foolish for going in that much on a KQ. Personnally I would try a bluff like that too, but I wouldn't whine about it when I lose it to an Ace. And I always felt that Dan Negraneau was a good player who got a decent run of cards, but I wouldn't be intimidated by him at any table.

So I say that there are just many good players out there who are as good if not better than the current crop of "pro's" and that they don't have sponsor's who will fork out the cash to play for them. But now they have other means of getting there since the internet is so available.

I know that there are hero worshippers out there that will flame this post saying that the Old Guard are the real "pro's. So be it.