PDA

View Full Version : if you didn't hate Annie Duke before you will now

Sly_Grin
05-25-2004, 04:40 PM
http://www.premierleaguepoker.com/anniedukedialup.wmv

her exit interview is the biggest bunch of whining I have EVER heard. Basically blaming the "poor" players for her loss, repeated again and again and again.

Caught bluffing on a 6554 with KQ by an AQ and BLAMES THE OTHER PERSON FOR MAKING A STRANGE CALL. "He's not supposed to call me !"

Called by a straight draw...

"He's not supposed to call me !"

Shut the {bleep} up ! And get your stinky feet off the chair too.

Gallopin Gael
05-25-2004, 04:42 PM
She wasn't called by a straight draw...

astroglide
05-25-2004, 04:46 PM
signed.

Freudian
05-25-2004, 05:11 PM
What's funny is that if Gus Hansen was the one doing it, she would say "good read". There is an amount of snobbery among some of the older players that makes it enjoyable when they bust out in ways like this.

Anyone found a quote where T.J Cloutier whined after being knocked out? Didn't think so. He has understood that going out can happen in any way you can imagine. And if you go out because your opponent didn't play like he is "supposed to", it is possible he played it perfectly and you played it very predictable.

SinCityGuy
05-25-2004, 05:32 PM
Interesting that both Duke and Daniel Negreanu were complaining about the poor play of the amateurs after they were eliminated. There's a good reason that Duke and Daniel Negreanu have been eliminated, while Doyle Brunson is still live.

While Duke and Negreanu want to blame the poor play by the amateurs, perhaps they should look inward and think more about opponent profiling.

From Brunson's Super System:

"You have to pick your players to bluff. You can hardly bluff a sucker at all, whereas any good player can be bluffed." - p. 29

"Against a low-grade player, you simply make the obvious play. This is, you don't try to get fancy when you're in a pot with a weak player. You don't try to make subtle moves that'll be far beyond his capacity to understand or appreciate. You play fundamentally better (rather than strategically better) than a weak player. - p. 432

Dynasty
05-25-2004, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.premierleaguepoker.com/anniedukedialup.wmv

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure this link is good? It hasn't worked for me in the past half hour.

Michael Davis
05-25-2004, 06:07 PM
Cloutier is constantly whining and complaining. He comes off as a complete jerk every time I see him play.

-Michael

TwoNiner
05-25-2004, 06:13 PM
That is hilarious.. What an arrogant bitch. Maybe if she wouldn't wait untill the river and then clearly overbet the pot Joe Six Pack wouldn't bust her fat ass out. According to her it will be nearly impossible for pros, because this guy is calling with ace high and she "gets her chips from bluffing".. Well how about you get some chips by running a pair of 5's against the ace high callers. I think her opponent was probably a pretty good player, and he might even have laid the hand down for a lesser bet, just my guess.

Oh and I remember last year her interview was all about not holding cards as well.

Rushmore
05-25-2004, 06:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone found a quote where T.J Cloutier whined after being knocked out?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ever read Positively Fifth Street?

WEASEL45
05-25-2004, 06:19 PM
she was calle with a jack high straight draw with a pot sized bet on the turn. the draw hit

Stew
05-25-2004, 06:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
she was calle with a jack high straight draw with a pot sized bet on the turn. the draw hit

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the board was paired on the river and there had been virtually no action until the river. She bluffed all in with 28K in a pot of 14K and got called by Ace high, she had junk, bye bye.

She's a whiney bitch that got called with her hand in the cookie jar.

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-25-2004, 06:51 PM
You and WEASEL are talking about two different hands.

Stew
05-25-2004, 06:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We may be, but there are no other hands being referred to in this thread, so if he's talking about hand other than the one she busted out on, then he should elaborate.

Regardless, I don't think anyone will dispute the fact that she's a whiney bitch with a lack of respect for other players and poor poker etiquette.

Gallopin Gael
05-25-2004, 07:01 PM
Good... my eyes were getting tired looking for the 2 or the 3 on the board for her last hand.

B Dids
05-25-2004, 07:11 PM
People do and have, and did so in the internet forum today.

I think it's funny that people are expecting somebody to act perfectly normal after they just busted out of the biggest event of the year. I don't normally buy into this reasoning, but until you've been there, and been through that experience, you probably should keep your judgements to yourself.

Stew
05-25-2004, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
People do and have, and did so in the internet forum today.

I think it's funny that people are expecting somebody to act perfectly normal after they just busted out of the biggest event of the year. I don't normally buy into this reasoning, but until you've been there, and been through that experience, you probably should keep your judgements to yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, so reaching into the muck and looking at people's discards is acceptable? Treating Daniel N like [censored] is acceptable.

I'm not just talking about her behavior today, but this is a long-standing issue with her.

Have you read about her in Positively Fifth Street?

I have been there and been through the experience, certainly not in an event as big as this.

The point is, this isn't a one-time thing for her, she is well know for her lack of respect for other players and her actions at the table that are considered in poor taste.

If this were indeed a one time statement (in fact it is similar to Daniel's) she'd get a pass, but she doesn't deserve it like he does. As he typically goes out in class, although I have not seen the PokerStars Caribbean Adventure WPT event yet and I heard he was somewhat of an ass towards Gus, so that may change my opinion of him as well.

As far as keeping judgements to myself, maybe I should, maybe I shouldn't, but that's my opinion. If you disagree, fine, I have no problem with that.

brassnuts
05-25-2004, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
We may be, but there are no other hands being referred to in this thread, so if he's talking about hand other than the one she busted out on, then he should elaborate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, actually the original poster was talking about 2 different hands. It may not have been clear, so here you go.
Let's all not try to be so testy.

[ QUOTE ]
Caught bluffing on a 6554 with KQ by an AQ and BLAMES THE OTHER PERSON FOR MAKING A STRANGE CALL. "He's not supposed to call me !" <-- HAND 1

Called by a straight draw... <-- HAND 2

"He's not supposed to call me !"

[/ QUOTE ]

B Dids
05-25-2004, 07:21 PM
I've read Dan N.'s stories. And even if they're all true that doesn't make any of the judgements about her post-bust statements any less petty.

Lori
05-25-2004, 07:28 PM
Treating Daniel N like [censored] is acceptable.

What planet did you visit to come to this conclusion?

She's hardly said a thing regarding the incident with Dan N, in fact she's sat back and taken the barrage of (mostly) lies with more dignity than I could have managed.

She certainly doesn't smell, and some of the things written about her were written when she was in another country at the time she was supposed to have done them.

I wasn't impressed with the interview either, but had this just been another male name pro, nobody would have said a thing.

I was going to let this drop, but the line about how SHE treated DAN N is crazy, you can't possibly think she's the bad party in that argument, no matter what else you think.

Lori

B Dids
05-25-2004, 07:32 PM
Lori,

Twice today you've pointed out that what's been said is incorrect. Are you saying that Dan N. was lying in his rgp course?

ncskiier
05-25-2004, 07:32 PM
Very Hellmuthian of her. I've hated her ever since I saw her on Ladies Night. Didn't she know it was going to be televised. C'mon pull yourself together. DOG

B Dids
05-25-2004, 07:34 PM
Yeah- screw people for not being attractive.

Again, you wouldn't be saying this about a male poker player.

RPatterson
05-25-2004, 07:55 PM
If the Caribbean WPT was the one on tv last week then I can verify that Daniel wasn't acting like an ass to Gus. After he got knocked out he said that Gus had position on him and was hammering on him like an anvil but that was it, just stating the facts.

And Gus Hansen is my hero, I'd be quick to pick up an insult against him.

Daithi
05-25-2004, 07:55 PM
She was pretty nasty on WPT Ladies Night. When she got knocked out, on national TV, she said something like -- I can't believe those two are still in it. I thought they'd be the first to go.

This certainly shows poor sportsmanship, and I can understand why people get upset with her. However, calling her names and such is just as bad as her poor sportsmanship.

RPatterson
05-25-2004, 07:56 PM
Annie needs to take a lesson from her brother in how to behave with class.

1p0kerb0y
05-25-2004, 08:30 PM
As far as keeping judgements to myself, maybe I should, maybe I shouldn't, but that's my opinion. If you disagree, fine, I have no problem with that.

This is beyond my capacity. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

jwvdcw
05-25-2004, 09:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Regardless, I don't think anyone will dispute the fact that she's a whiney bitch with a lack of respect for other players and poor poker etiquette.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're wrong..the intial post was referrencing two different hands.

Stew
05-25-2004, 09:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lori,

Twice today you've pointed out that what's been said is incorrect. Are you saying that Dan N. was lying in his rgp course?

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently, since she says they are "mostly lies". Now, I'm not one to butt heads with Lori and she may know more than I. She's basically saying Daniel is lying. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. But, Daniel doesn't have a track record of immature behavior, as Annie does. This tends to make Daniel more credible, in my eyes. Is he lying? I don't know, but she hasn't really done anything to deny what he says. Not that it means he's saying the truth, maybe she's taking the high road. I'm just saying, this incident is another in a long line of incidents involving Annie where she behaves like an immature baby.

William Wilson
05-25-2004, 09:29 PM
Can someone post a link to this argument between Daniel and Annie? I enjoy public pissing contests.

Stew
05-25-2004, 09:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're wrong..the intial post was referrencing two different hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right, I was wrong. I just re-watched the video now that my son is asleep and she is clearly talking about two different hands, my apologies to all.

maurile
05-25-2004, 09:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Can someone post a link to this argument between Daniel and Annie? I enjoy public pissing contests.

[/ QUOTE ]
It was all over the place on RGP a year or two ago. Here's a nice sample:

link (http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&threadm=7220404a.0302190256.1d051d10%40 posting.google.com&rnum=4&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dauthor:negreanu%2Bannie%2Bduke%26hl%3 Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26safe%3Doff%26selm%3D7220404a.0302190256.1d051d 10%2540posting.google.com%26rnum%3D4)

Lori
05-25-2004, 09:44 PM
But, Daniel doesn't have a track record of immature behavior, as Annie does. This tends to make Daniel more credible, in my eyes. Is he lying?

Wasn't he drunk and out of control for over a year?

Lori

Stew
05-25-2004, 09:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But, Daniel doesn't have a track record of immature behavior, as Annie does. This tends to make Daniel more credible, in my eyes. Is he lying?

Wasn't he drunk and out of control for over a year?

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, was he? Most of the drinking rumors were drudged up by Carson, do you believe him?

luggie
05-25-2004, 10:00 PM
you hit the nail right on the head SHE NEEDS TO LOOK AT HER BRO AND TAKE NOTES!the poker world may have changed for all the pros this week end so they better get uesd to it!

Lori
05-25-2004, 10:03 PM
From Daniels own website

If you had a chance to read the trilogy I wrote recently regarding alcohol, you’d know I went through some tough times during all of the year 2000, and then most of 2001. What I left out, however, was some of the things that led me to drink and self-destruct. The most damaging was being involved in an unhappy relationship.

The relevant article is the woman who broke me (http://fullcontactpoker.com/cparticles.php)

Lori

toots
05-25-2004, 10:06 PM
Posting whiney diatribes about other players (namely Ms. Duke) is immature, and right there establishes a track record of Daniel's immature behavior.

I mean, if he were a gentleman, he wouldn't feel the need to justify his feud to total strangers. Whatever ill feelings there may be between him and Ms. Duke should remain between him and Ms. Duke. His apparent need to air them for all to read doesn't really lend much credibility to Daniel.

After all, if Ms. Duke was really just as bad as Daniel insists, then it would be clear to everyone without him having to lower himself to point it out.

Stew
05-25-2004, 10:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
From Daniels own website

If you had a chance to read the trilogy I wrote recently regarding alcohol, you’d know I went through some tough times during all of the year 2000, and then most of 2001. What I left out, however, was some of the things that led me to drink and self-destruct. The most damaging was being involved in an unhappy relationship.

The relevant article is the woman who broke me (http://fullcontactpoker.com/cparticles.php)

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, but the incidents that occured involving Annie that Daniel refers to happened after Daniel became sober. Carson is alleging that he was drunk when they happened to dispute his credibility. I know Daniel went through a battle with alcohol, but he has been recovered from that for over 3 years and almost a full two when the Annie Duke feud began.

stupidsucker
05-25-2004, 10:14 PM
Thanks for that link...
Interesting read...

Stew
05-25-2004, 10:14 PM
Botchy Dud, don't you have something to say here? LOL I read that before you got it off!

eMarkM
05-25-2004, 10:15 PM
Daniel has posted this reply (http://www.recpoker.com/article.php?gID=1&ID=396923) in RGP. At least in this instance he's blaming himself for trying to bluff the unbluffable.

Lori
05-25-2004, 10:17 PM
If being a pisshead isn't a sign of being immature, we'll have to agree to differ Im afraid.

Lori

Botchy Dud
05-25-2004, 10:18 PM
I felt it was a bit strong, I'm just here to pick on Dutch.

Stew
05-25-2004, 10:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If being a pisshead isn't a sign of being immature, we'll have to agree to differ Im afraid.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you have a point, hell I don't know. As I said, I wasn't there, I don't think you were there, so who really knows the full story and whose right and whose wrong. They're probably both to blame. I was probably a little rough on Annie, so I'll recant the bitch part...she's still whiney though.

B Dids
05-25-2004, 10:21 PM
Define "pisshead". 'Cause if you're talking about a drinking problem, I think that's both untrue and unfair.

Stew
05-25-2004, 10:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I felt it was a bit strong, I'm just here to pick on Dutch.

[/ QUOTE ]

But, you're a big fan according to bump-en-dik, right?

Stew
05-25-2004, 10:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Define "pisshead". 'Cause if you're talking about a drinking problem, I think that's both untrue and unfair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Lori is referring to the RGP posts, not his issues with alcohol.

Lori
05-25-2004, 10:25 PM
Yes, a drunk.

I'm aware that many people have trouble with alcohol, but how they act whilst under the influence says something about them IMO.

The one point I will concede is that I admire how Dan N is honest about his mistakes, however the number and magnitude that he has made shows a certain amount of immaturity.

As Stew correctly states, neither he nor I were there, so this is all speculation and arguing about it neither does us any good, nor the two celebs involved so I'm willing to drop it now.

(I will still work on the PM that I promised to those interested)

Lori

Scooterdoo
05-25-2004, 10:29 PM
I assume that if the guy were simply a calling station he would not be in the tournament at that point. Assuming the pot was raised preflop the guy probably made a great call (this would be especially true if he raised the pot prefop and she called it). He assumed that she had overcards and missed on the board based on her preflop actions, flop bet or lack of bet, and large turn bet which was probably much too large. He realized that his AQ was probably good and that she was bluffing. Certainly a call that a pro could make -- I really good pro.

C M Burns
05-25-2004, 11:18 PM
Not that i know much about her but i think any woman working in a world of 95% men deserves some slack. She must have taken a good amount of abuse from players she has beaten over the years. And also how a person acts in the poker table/world and in their normal lives are not always the same thing.

and i finally just saw the interview, and it is not that whinny it just sounds like someone who is frustrated with what happend. I do find it facinating that these top pros do not seem to grasp what doyle said in the qute someone posted, the same mistakes he saw pros doing in the 70's.

HDPM
05-25-2004, 11:27 PM
read katy lederer's book and get back to us. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

paland
05-26-2004, 12:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
read katy lederer's book and get back to us. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Can you kind of fill us in? I don't have time to run out and buy it before this thread pages out.

Stoneii
05-26-2004, 03:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I do find it facinating that these top pros do not seem to grasp what doyle said in the qute someone posted, the same mistakes he saw pros doing in the 70's

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree wholeheartedly, if the field is so lame, then I thought one of the definitions of being a pro would be to make a read on that and adjust play accordingly.

If the player is read as being weak or a calling station, and won't lay down, then stop laying bluffs on him, it's something we all have to grasp!!

stoneii

Chris Dow
05-26-2004, 04:41 AM
2004, the year the pro's were taken by surprise at the sheer stupidity of the massive field - Give me a break. Nice bluff Annie.

Prickly Pete
05-26-2004, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't impressed with the interview either, but had this just been another male name pro, nobody would have said a thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

One caveat: I haven't listened to the interview as I can't hear it on my dinosaur PC at work. However, I doubt seriously that she is getting sh!t only because she's a woman. Hellmuth, Varkonyi, Moneymaker, Negreanu and other male players routinely get bashed here (fairly or unfairly).

Not knowing either personally or having any firsthand info, my opinion is just a guess at best. But I'd bet that Annie and Daniel are both weenies.

Sloats
05-26-2004, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

One caveat: I haven't listened to the interview as I can't hear it on my dinosaur PC at work. However, I doubt seriously that she is getting sh!t only because she's a woman. Hellmuth, Varkonyi, Moneymaker, Negreanu and other male players routinely get bashed here (fairly or unfairly).

Not knowing either personally or having any firsthand info, my opinion is just a guess at best. But I'd bet that Annie and Daniel are both weenies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this mean that there is a possibility people here will bash Fossil in the future?

Al_Capone_Junior
05-26-2004, 01:37 PM
she may have been whiny, but the bottom line is that the last time I checked very few top names were left - a bunch of internet nobodys are still in... like i told you it would be about a million times and no one would listen. poker is a friggin' idiot fest now, a luck contest with a tiny portion of skill for good measure. The variance has gone WAY up, particularly in collosally huge internet fueled tournaments. you either get the hands or you go bust. maybe annie did needlessly bluff into loose calling stations, i am not commenting on that, but basically what she said WAS true, albeit whiny.

al

William
05-26-2004, 02:06 PM
you either get the hands or you go bust.

LOL and most of the time, even when you get the hands you're out.

Besides that I agree with you Al, it's a circus.

Anyway, Annie should just stay in her kitchen where she belongs instead of playing poker.

What was the title of that article again? Oh yeah, the woman who broke me....

How does it go? food on the table and welcome on the carpet? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Prickly Pete
05-26-2004, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The variance has gone WAY up

[/ QUOTE ]
This is undeniably true.

[ QUOTE ]
a luck contest with a tiny portion of skill for good measure

[/ QUOTE ]

This is laughable at best.

MaxPower
05-26-2004, 03:14 PM
Three of the remaining 86 player are former champions of the main event. A number of others are well known pros. I'm sure that many of those left that I haven't heard of are fine players.

Even before the recent poker boom and the large influx of internet players there were winners of the big one that were not considered great players (Varkonyi, Furlong, etc.)

curmudgeon
05-26-2004, 03:19 PM
FACE IT! the pros just aren't that much better than the very good new players coming out of the internet poker boom.

stop yer crabbin and learn how to play /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Al_Capone_Junior
05-26-2004, 03:55 PM
al

bigfishead
05-26-2004, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
From Daniels own website

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, but the incidents that occured involving Annie that Daniel refers to happened after Daniel became sober. Carson is alleging that he was drunk when they happened to dispute his credibility. I know Daniel went through a battle with alcohol, but he has been recovered from that for over 3 years and almost a full two when the Annie Duke feud began.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that wasnt mountain dew he was dreaking two years ago when I dealt to him in 3 handed 200-400 limit triple draw lowball. And his eyes werent red as washington delicous apples becuz he just got out of the pool at 4am in the morning.

However, he was in fact a class act even when loaded at the time. I'm sure y'all are correct that he has "blown it" at the table before. But every time I see him he's been a class act. I am speaking of just the times I see him in person playing or have dealt to him. I've only seen a few minutes of the WPT show where he was supposed to be outta line with Hansen so I dunno bout that. I just wish more players were like him at the tables.

ncskiier
05-26-2004, 04:20 PM
I'm just saying she knew it was televised she could clean herself up a little and lose the corduroys.

Stew
05-26-2004, 07:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
she may have been whiny, but the bottom line is that the last time I checked very few top names were left - a bunch of internet nobodys are still in... like i told you it would be about a million times and no one would listen. poker is a friggin' idiot fest now, a luck contest with a tiny portion of skill for good measure. The variance has gone WAY up, particularly in collosally huge internet fueled tournaments. you either get the hands or you go bust. maybe annie did needlessly bluff into loose calling stations, i am not commenting on that, but basically what she said WAS true, albeit whiny.

al

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the biggest load of shilt and you know it. If a top player (i.e. her brother, Hanson, Doyle, Chan, anyone) had picked off her bluff like that, she would be praising them for a "great call" and a "good read". Just b/c it was a no-name, doesn't make the call any less spectacular or less of a good play.

Like Whiskey said, a good bluff uncalled is a great play, a bluff picked off is a great call, regarldless or who made the play.

You are about clueless.

You need to realize that there are a lot of good, hell even great poker players that don't play the tournament circuit or aren't pros. They may play a handful of local tourney's or online or very rarely play the bigger evnts, but that doesn't make them less of player b/c they don't play often and they aren't "BIG-TIME" pros. They may not have the funds, the backing, the access or even the desire to play often in the big events. A great player is a great player, regardless.

Get a clue.

jmark
05-26-2004, 07:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You need to realize that there are a lot of good, hell even great poker players that don't play the tournament circuit or aren't pros. They may play a handful of local tourney's or online or very rarely play the bigger evnts, but that doesn't make them less of player b/c they don't play often and they aren't "BIG-TIME" pros. They may not have the funds, the backing, the access or even the desire to play often in the big events. A great player is a great player, regardless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on now. Everyone knows that whatever the "named pros" do is the correct move and whatever the "amateurs" do is completely wrong.

Everyone should play strictly "by the book", that way we can take all the guessing out of poker and reduce it to a computer program. We'll just deal random hands in turbo texas holdem with everyone programmed to play "like a pro should" then go get a cup of coffee. When we come back someone will be millions richer and everyone will be happy cause they all played like they should.

I mean who do these amateurs think they are. There should be some sort of a qualifying round where they have to beat a bunch of other players in a smaller tournament to show that they can actually play. They should do this to weed out the poor players. Say everyone puts up $100 and 100 people play. The winner gets a $10k entry into next year's WSOP and we'll let him play because he actually earned it. He'll of course be booted out of the WSOP immediately by the director if he does something his "pro" opponent doesn't agree with. Now that's poker!

brassnuts
05-27-2004, 01:32 AM
OK, I'm not nearly as opinionated about Annie as most of you. However, I did find it funny that after all of things said in this thread, there is a clip of her on this week's WPT saying, "My dad never let us win and he taught us that winning is everything." IMO this isn't the best attitude towards anything, but it might explain why a lot of you see her as such a whiney bad sport.

West
05-27-2004, 11:18 PM
Anyone who has played online for a while has seen bluffs exactly like what Annie Duke did on many occasions. Sure it took balls to call that bluff, but you can bet the guy didn't call it KNOWING that he was beat - he called because he liked the chances she was bluffing. And evidently he was right.

I just got back from the series, my friend qualified for it and I had half his action. His aces got cracked by tens early Monday after he got it all in preflop (32k pot). Anyway, I had no idea that Annie Duke had this reputation until I got home tonight and decided to check out 2+2 and read this thread. The funny thing was, my initial impression of Annie Duke from seeing her at the tournament was that she kind of walked around like she owned the place in a way. Hard to describe what I mean. Then my friend was on the rail for her calling the floor on Gank (I'm sure there are threads on this somewhere). Anyway, if the "pros" can't/don't adjust to their opponents, then they aren't getting the job done. Instead of whining that the winning hand "shouldn't" have called them, they should say, "I made a bluff I thought would work, and I was wrong, and I'm out of the tournament because of it. Maybe I could have played the pot differently and taken it down. Hats off to the guy who called me, he did it with the best hand."

I watched Negreanu from right behind him on the rail from the very beginning of the tournament. If he whined in his post tourney interview (haven't seen/heard it, but heard at the tournament that he said he made the mistake of trying to bluff to many unbluffable amateurs), it's nice to see that he has since come to the correct conclusion

http://www.recpoker.com/article.php?gID=1&ID=396923

- that he was too impatient, and tried to bluff too much when he shouldn't have (against opponents who were "calling too much"). Fact is, if they called you down, then you shouldn't have bluffed!

Anyway, I saw Daniel play from the beginning until his table got moved to the featured table, and I was a little surprised at how much he was playing, and I got the impression that he was in fact playing too impatiently. Of course that was just an impression - I obviously didn't get to see what his cards were most of the time. I did witness a few of the calls made against him where he unsuccessfully bluffed. One time a guy raised from early position with what turned out to be A8, and Daniel called from one of the blinds I think. I forget the flop, but it was checked, and Daniel bet out 600? or something on turn, and the guy called with just his ace high bad kicker, river checked, A8 wins. Another time a guy who I understood from talking with someone in the bleachers was not a very experienced player, raised up I think with QQ, and Daniel called, again from the blinds I think. Flop came AAK, and Daniel bet it either on the flop or turn, queens called, and he backed off and checked. QQ held up. From watching the table it seemed like Daniel was basically going to bet it if you checked and looked weak. I think one time he bet king high on the turn, was called by queen high, river was checked and he won that one.

There were two more interesting hands I witnessed, one where I think he laid down AA on the turn (never saw what), and another where he either bluffed or had a real nice hand, and got another guy (who was clearly an experienced player) to lay down AQ, TPTK on the river. The first hand was against the guy who called him with the A8. I think someone limped, then Daniel limped, then A8 guy raised it up (blinds were 75/150 if I recall right). Folded to Daniel who pondered and called. Flop came K high (K32 maybe?), rainbow I think, other guy bet strong if I recall correctly, and Daniel again pondered and called. Turn was another K, the guy bet strong and Daniel quickly folded...we figured it was probably aces (unless he called preflop with one of his fav suited connector hands (54?), and if it was aces, was a good laydown since the guy showed AK.

Later a hand against a guy who I think was listed as V. Shjhjflflhf (couldn't tell you the last name exactly, I think this is the guy), who gave the impression of being very experienced, pretty aggressive, and who chatted a lot at the table, particularly with Daniel I think. Can't remember the preflop betting, but flop came QJsomething low, and V bet 1500, and Daniel called...turn was a blank I think, and V bet 1500, and again Daniel called. Daniel was one of the blinds, and after the river 8 came, he bet out 4000 which was more than half his stack I think at the time. So losing the pot would have put him in real trouble. V wound up folding AQ and showing it. Couldn't here all the talk at the table after that, but I think he was telling Daniel that he had T9, and I think Daniel was denying it. Bluff? T9? QJ? Trips? A minute or so later, Daniel stood up and was just looking around, and I almost got the guts to say from the rail, "Hey Daniel, the fans want to know what you had there", but didn't. I don't expect he would have said, but I'm sure he probably would have laughed.

Was also on the rail for when Johnny Chan got knocked out. Shortly before that occurred, an interesting situation came up. Johnny was the BB and the hand had been folded to the SB. I didn't see this happen, but apparently, somehow the lady to his right exposed one he cards to Johnny. She did not dispute this, but said it was unintentional. A floorperson was called, and the floor quickly stated that the hand would play, but that the woman would receive a 10 minute penalty (could not play any hands for ten minutes, automatically folded). Anyway, she had AK, raised it, Johnny folded, and she showed it. She had a lot more chips than Johnny and given that it was AK, I can't think of any reason why she would show the card intentionally, but she was pretty snippy about being penalized, saying that nothing was affected by it. You could tell Johnny didn't want to argue about it, but he pointed out that that wasn't the point, that there's good reason why you can't show cards to other players, and that's why they penalize you whether it's intentional or not. Not having much live tournament experience myself, it was interesting observing the many occasions where the floor was called to various tables. One time there was a table where they wound up calling over just about every official in the place, and someone in the bleachers said they thought it was because a player was claiming that a pot had been divided incorrectly. Anyway, Johnny was out a few hands later, limped utg with JJ, raised by QQ, he went all in and was called.