PDA

View Full Version : Inducing a bluff on the river?

ctv1116
05-25-2004, 04:28 PM
Ultimate Bet 2/4 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, MP calls, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP checks, CO checks.
Turn: (2 BB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP checks, CO checks.
River: (2 BB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP checks, CO bets, SB calls, Hero calls, MP folds.
Final Pot: 5 BB
Results in White: <font color="white">
CO has 7h 0d, ace high.
SB has 5h 3h, a pair of fives
Hero has 4h Ac, a pair of aces.
Hero wins 5BB.
</font>

So my question is: Should I have bet the river? I was planning on check-calling all the way, figuring that someone would bet the river, either as a bluff or with a small pair, and I'd take down the pot. Is this sort of a reverse gap concept, that in this situation, people are willing to bet with a worse hand than they would otherwise call a bet with?

PassiveCaller
05-25-2004, 10:47 PM
It looks like you got an extra bet out of the bluffer here doing just that and in a lot of cases on the river people may bet with a worse hand but not call with it if you lead.

I like the move here...

xmrstyle
05-25-2004, 11:04 PM
Take of your skirt and bet the turn

naphand
05-26-2004, 03:31 AM
I see no problem with this.

A lot of players will play this hand the same way with a 2 or 7, only betting the when checked to. They won't raise at any point, but they will call your bet. While there may be some value in betting your naked A on the Turn, you won't get a better hand to fold. And betting the Turn you are likely to want to bet the River, and lose 2 bets most of the time (not here obviously).

Bet the Turn, check/fold the River unimproved? I think you might as well take the free card, if a 2 or 7 is happy to let you draw free to an overcard then it is his mistake, not yours.

kiddo
05-26-2004, 04:07 AM
4 people check flop.
4 people check turn.

Doesnt look very aggressive so I would bet river, fearing another check.

On river the A came, pretty stupid guy bluffing into 3 players checking all the way. What did he think you had?

But since you got no kicker at all I guess check-call is ok because it wouldnt be fun to face a raise. If you had a good kicker bet or checkraise river is the options.

If table is loose, as it often is at 2/4, I would not bet turn, any small pair or strange draw will call and you will have trouble deciding on river what to do becuase you are sittin out of position. If you were on button you could bet turn to get a free showdown unless you hit river.

fyodor
05-26-2004, 09:32 AM
I don't bet the turn either. The small pair will almost never fold.