PDA

View Full Version : WSOP main event day 2 hand -- why KQ is bad in NL

Diplomat
05-25-2004, 03:29 PM
This hand went down at my table yesterday, and I thought it was a pretty texbook example of why KQ is a horrid hand to play in a big, raised pot.

I am in the 800 TC big blind with XX. UTG makes it 3k. A very strong WPT pro makes it 9k. Folded to UTG who calls.

The flop is QJ7 with 7 diamonds. UTG bets 18k, which is about 1/2 his stack. The pro thinks for about 10 seconds and goes all-in. UTG, now severely pot-stuck, thinks for a minute and calls, because he has little choice. He flips over KQ. The pro has AA.

-Diplomat

Matt Flynn
05-25-2004, 03:33 PM
Yup. Other than a KQ or better flop you won't get the money in unless you are beaten.

You still in it?

Matt

LA_Price
05-25-2004, 03:42 PM
It's a winner for me so far in my poker tracker stats. I think the main mistakes here were probably.
1. raising this hand from an early position
2. calling the raise of a good player esp. out of position

I raise with it occasionaly in late position if I know I'm against weak players who will simply check to me if they don't flop tpgk or better and I can take the pot off them. In Ciaffone's book he mentions KQ and AQ as two of the most common hands to run into trouble. Looks like here is a perfect example of why.