PDA

View Full Version : Raze the prison?

elwoodblues
05-25-2004, 11:09 AM
President Bush has called for the razing of the prison at the center of the prisoner abuse scandal.

Is it just me or does that seem like an enourmous waste of resources? I know I sound like a cynic, but I don't think when people are calling for punishing those responsible for the abuses really mean that the prison itself is responsible.

Should the Abu Grhaib prison be razed?

nicky g
05-25-2004, 11:18 AM
They should knock it down. Thousand of people were killed or tortured in it. I agree it's somewhat wasteful but it's a monument to murder and now to the misdeeds of the coalition. They shouldn't however be allowed to pretend that simply knocking it down shows they've adequately dealt with the prisoner abuse problem.

cardcounter0
05-25-2004, 11:19 AM
Yes. It must be the prison buildings fault. Responsibility could not possibly lie with anyone within the administration.

Bush Ten Step Method Of Dealing With Problems:
1. Deny.
2. Deny.
3. Make up a lie.
4. Find some one else to blame.
5. Lie some more, with a denial.
6. Continue to blame others.
7. Find some other issue to divert attention.
8. Blame others, repeat lies, and deny.
9. Continue to bring up other issues.
10. If any one is still focused on original problem, and hasn't swallowed lies that have been repeated enough that most people accept as fact, or haven't been sidetracked into the blame of others, or sidetracked by new issues -- Claim the problem is now "irrelevant" and it is now time to "Move On."

nicky g
05-25-2004, 11:29 AM
I agree with that. But I still think the prison should be knocked down.

benfranklin
05-25-2004, 12:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes. It must be the prison buildings fault. Responsibility could not possibly lie with anyone within the administration.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is obviously true. Just like guns kill people. And tobacco causes cancer. And McDonalds makes people fat. If we could just eliminate all those evil things in the world, we would all turn into the perfect human beings we all know we are. Except a couple of you guys, and you know who you are.

adios
05-25-2004, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Should the Abu Grhaib prison be razed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Could be wrong but I suspect that you don't have a problem with the prison being torn down but it seems like an inconsequential matter when the president is giving a major policy speech about Iraq. Why should anyone find satisfaction with building a bigger, better prison? Nicky's point about what it symbolizes is valid but to me all that is being done is replacing one prison with another. Why wouldn't Iraqis have trepidation about another, probably more expansive, prision where even more people can be confined? I found this to be a rather weak segment of his speech. If he thinks anyone is going to swallow this as a rectification of the prisoner abuse problem then he's delusional. I don't really know why he mentioned this in his speech.