PDA

View Full Version : I HATE Losing! Help with this hand

AtlBrvs4Life
05-24-2004, 11:54 PM
Alright, I am on the worst streak of losses in tournaments I have ever been on. I decided to stop doing the 30+3 party tourneys and switch to 10+1 because I was losing so much. However, it seems I can no longer even win the $10 tournaments that I used to dominate. Here is the hand I busted out on in the most recent tourney. Where did I go wrong.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (8 handed)

UTG (t455)
AtlBrvs4Life (t1055)
MP1 (t2290)
MP2 (t755)
CO (t1220)
Button (t715)
SB (t785)
BB (t725)

Preflop: AtlBrvs4Life is UTG+1 with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">AtlBrvs4Life raises to t75</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO calls t75, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls t60.

Flop: (t235) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">AtlBrvs4Life bets t175</font>, CO calls t175, BB folds.

Turn: (t585) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">AtlBrvs4Life bets t250</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises to t970 (All-In)</font>, AtlBrvs4Life calls t555 (All-In).

River: (t2360) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 2 all-in) </font>

Final Pot: t2360
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: t2195 (t2195), between AtlBrvs4Life and CO.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by CO (t2195).</font>
<font color="#990066">Pot 2: t165 (t165), overbet by CO.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
AtlBrvs4Life shows As Ac (two pair, aces and eights).
CO shows 6s 6d (straight, nine high).
Outcome: CO wins t2360. </font>

I really did not believe he had a 6 due to his call of my preflop raise and the manner in which he played the hand.

Lori
05-25-2004, 01:31 AM
Where did I go wrong

You could possibly have bet slightly more on the flop, but that's a bit of a nit-pick, and most people here would probably disagree.

Your main error was not flopping quads.

Lori

jslag
05-25-2004, 07:20 AM
I'm not saying you played it poorly from preflop to the flop, but when you bet out on the turn and the guy goes all-in back at you... you've got to be asking yourself if you're beat -- maybe he has a set (55/77/99/88) and is slowplaying it on the flop or even something like A6s may call here. People do play these hands to preflop raises, especially 77 and on up for pocket pairs. Especially at Party and lower stakes games.

Seems to me it was unlikely that he would be playing 97/98/75 to a preflop raise, so if he's all-in on the turn, I'd have to put him on a set or a straight. Occasionally you might get a player with KK/QQ/JJ/TT making this play, but KK/QQ would have re-raised you preflop.

Better luck next time. If you're being committed for all your chips, think twice if all you have is top pair. AA is indeed hard to lay down.

/images/graemlins/spade.gif J. /images/graemlins/spade.gif

PrayingMantis
05-25-2004, 08:23 AM
Few thoughts:

I would generally bet more on the flop. You made it pretty easy for a loose caller to chase you, IMO.

However, the main difficult spot is on the turn.

You have an over-pair, the best there is, but still - only an over-pair. As more and more cards are getting dealt, your AA have less and less chance to hold (if they don't improve), even against a few opponents (here it's only one). You don't want anyone to chase you here without paying big.

That's why, regardless of the results, I would say you have to play much stronger on the turn, especially against only one opponent, and with a pot of 585, while you have only 805 left, AND most important (like you've shown here): you are not willing to fold to a push. So - I would think pushing yourself is a better move. If you're already beaten, that's too bad - but most of the time you'll take the pot there, or induce a weak call, but certainly won't let the other player still chase with whatever cards he has.