PDA

View Full Version : Game selection advice wanted

Ohio Guy
05-24-2004, 09:02 PM
I'm wondering what peoples thoughts are on game selection, especially when you don't know much about the people playing (the fish on your buddy list can't be found).

On most sites, I look at the view flop percentage, and try to find something above 35%. But other sites (PP, for example) don't display this information. My rule of thumb for filtering through these games is the average pot size, and I tend to look for a pot size of > 7.5 BB in these cases, under the theory that larger pots generally indicate either more calling stations, or a maniac at the table.

However, lately I've noticed that there are a lot of benefits to short handed and six player games. Foremost among these is that you see more hands per hour, and secondarily, you can usually play more hands than you would otherwise. I've played in several of these games lately as a change of pace, and usually do well.

However, I'm unsure of what kind of statistics to look for in these games. Whats a reasonable flop % for a tight 6 handed game? How many BB's is an average pot in these games?