PDA

View Full Version : A conflict of self interests

Coilean
05-24-2004, 08:37 PM
This is a rant of sorts about a ruling (and therefore the implicated rule) made earlier today in the Bellagio 80 game. For those unfamiliar, a "time pot" is how the rake is paid in many higher limit games; the time charge for all the players is taken from the first eligible pot, generally the first pot to achieve X dollars after a new dealer sits down. At the Bellagio, the time charge is taken from the first pot that has a flop, and no chops are allowed until the time is taken (chopping is otherwise permissible).

Anyway, I'm the BB, with some inconsequential trash, and the new dealer is in, so it's a time pot. Me and the SB have agreed beforehand to chop time pots, which, despite being disallowed, is a pretty common wink-wink-nudge-nudge under the table sort of affair. It folds to the SB, who raises, at which point I remind him it's a time pot, and throw down my hand. Unfortunately, the SB is unaware of the illicit nature of our prearranged agreement, and we take back our chips while he throws down his hand. The dealer reminds us it's a time pot and no chopping is allowed, leaving our hands unmucked in front of us. I (having forgotten already that the SB raised, because I am thinking "chop, next hand") tell the SB to give me 2 chips which I will give back to him, so he does. After a few moments, when it becomes apparent neither I nor the SB am going to do anything more, the dealer collects the cards and prepares to deal the next hand, and I return the SB's 2 chips.

After the shuffle begins, the two Asian girls who will be the blinds after the next hand complain and call for the floor. I wonder out loud what the point of calling for a ruling is, since no flop, no drop, right? And I think I've seen them do the under the table chops during a time pot as well, so our only mistake is making it too obvious. Meanwhile the next hand goes down: LP open raises, folded to BB who reraises, ace high ragged flop, BB bets it down and LP calls down, LP's QQ beats BB's 88.

The floorlady arrives and the dealer explains the situation, at which point the floorlady rules the prior hand was unactionable, so no time will be taken from it, and the time charge will come from the current pot, but she leaves to get her supervisor for approval. Since the time is now taken, the Asian girls no longer want a ruling, but the winner of the pot naturally picks up the banner and pushes for a ruling.

So now the floor supervisor arrives and the dealer again explains the situation, making sure to mention that he left our hands unmucked and told us that we could not chop (which makes me wonder if a dealer has gotten in trouble for this before). The previously silent winner of the QQ pot is now adamant that he shouldn't have to pay the time, while openly admitting "I didn't care before, but they can't chop so why should I have to pay the time?" The new ruling is that me and the SB from the prior hand must split the time charge, which has already been dropped, so we wind up paying Mr. QQ $36 apiece. As the supervisor leaves, one of the Asian girls explains that this is the right ruling, which she has seen made before. Aha, well that explains the prior objection anyway.

So yikes, what an ugly situation all around. I'm pissed, more because I feel used than because of having to pay the $36, my right hand neighbor is pissed because he wasn't aware of the no chop rule in the first place, the QQ guy is upset because he "wrongly" had to pay the time to start with, and quite possibly the dealer felt his job might be threatened to boot. I'm also upset simply for giving a rat's ass over 2 measly chips, but I felt used, like Mr. QQ (and the Asian girls as well, for that matter) had taken a shot by not objecting to the situation until it became obvious that it might be to his advantage to do so (and even openly admitting to it), and at a point when the legitimate action of raise-fold could no longer happen.

So the end result is both me and the SB leave when our blinds next come up (the game stunk anyway, and I was now half tilted for no good reason). But not before I call out Mr. QQ for making a dick move and taking shots, probably leaving him pissed, but leaving me feeling a bit better for having vented my frustration anyway. But what a fuss to make over a 2 chip chop, bleah.

mike l.
05-24-2004, 08:56 PM
was the game good?

if so, then i hate that you left.

all the other stuff is just window dressing.

Coilean
05-24-2004, 09:00 PM
Nah, the game sucked. If it had been any good, I just would have taken a 15 minute walk and then played again. But yeah, good 80 games are rare enough it would be criminal to leave them without a good reason /images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

Ulysses
05-24-2004, 09:14 PM
Stick to blackjack and you won't have to deal w/ this kind of crap.

Howard Burroughs
05-24-2004, 09:20 PM
I put the blame on you. Why not just follow the rules?

Best of Luck

Howard

Zeno
05-24-2004, 09:29 PM
Why do poker rooms make this so complicated? I have played a lot of pot-limit and some limit games with a time charge. It was never taken from the pot. Every player paid out of their stack at the dealer change - Right when the dealer first sat down and before they dealt a card. Simple - straightforward - no fuss.

What's the logic behind taking the time charge from the so-called first eligible pot - when anybody with any brains or foresight knows it will foster underhandedness and chicanery at the table?

But I suppose, given the nature of poker, that no matter what system is used some form of underhanded ploy will be employed by a certain percentage of the players (like being absent during dealer changes etc).

Consider it a tax. Like a gringo traveling through Guadalajara – you always have to pay someone something or be overcharge for some service or product. It’s the tax you pay for just being you and being there. Fairness in this world is not a solid line and never has been.

It’s no fun being bamboozled I admit, but I think a more charitable attitude would work better in the long run and also more to your advantage.

-Zeno

Zeno
05-24-2004, 10:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why not just follow the rules?

[/ QUOTE ]

It that allowed?

-Zeno

Ed Miller
05-25-2004, 12:52 AM
Time pots are stupid.

J.A.Sucker
05-25-2004, 01:45 PM
I understand how you feel. I think that leaving the game was the right play; in fact, just go back to LA, since the games are better, anyway.

In general, I'm a huge fan of timepots; they speed up the game (really, they do) and more importantly, they allow the majority of the time to be paid for by the loosest players, which is great for me.

While you shouldn't really care about the 2 chips, I know how those things can get under my skin more than they should.

Coilean
05-25-2004, 02:20 PM
Heh, you've seen me play blackjack and you think that's a good idea? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Coilean
05-25-2004, 02:22 PM
True enough, but it's a bad rule precisely because it can create enough ill will to make players leave the game. Who is supposed to benefit from this rule besides the people who know they can occassionally force a couple of schmucks to pay the time for chopping too openly?

DcifrThs
05-25-2004, 02:24 PM
pain in the arse.

every dealer change every player should toss their time charge in the center of the table or have it taken from their stack by the dealer. with the eyes in the sky watching, it shouldn't be a problem. seems like this silly rule caused some commotion before, hence it should be re-examined by the bellagio.

if you feel like it maybe you should do the suggesting.

otherwise, follow the rules you little weasle /images/graemlins/wink.gif lol...as if THAT was an option.

further, if you're FROM st. louis let me know so i can PM you and ask some stuff of you.

take care,
-Barron

Clarkmeister
05-25-2004, 02:54 PM
They don't even enforce the no chopping rule. I've quite openly chopped literally dozens of times in that game in that situation and never had anyone say boo.

Coilean
05-25-2004, 03:06 PM
Yeah, I guess they only enforce the no chopping rule if a player complains. The only players who complain are probably the ones who know that this will force the choppers to pay the time for them.

cero_z
05-25-2004, 06:12 PM
Hi Coilean,
This does sound like a bad game! It sounds like there are at least 4 nits in it. From the many posts I've read of yours, I wouldn't have pegged you that way, though; maybe this was just a moment of weakness. This is the kind of thing argument that spoils games, and the rule in question is not the problem. I think your best approach to this situation is to voluntarily pay the time when some nit complains, making it clear that the $36 doesn't matter to you at all (even if it does). The worst thing you can do is bicker over a rule, demonstrating an awareness and resolve that your weaker-playing opponents don't have or appreciate.
Good move by quitting the game, though; I'll bet there's a better one in Vegas.

MMMMMM
05-26-2004, 12:51 AM
"Time pots are stupid."

I agreee about 66%. Besides, if you opt out of the time pot by paying your own time in advance while everybody else is doing time pots, you can drill the game pretty hard while the good players are staying out of your pots.