PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Clarky'

rigoletto
05-24-2004, 08:14 PM
Typical example of getting raised by a dominated ace:

Paradise Poker 20/40 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (5.75 BB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 13.75 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 13.75 BB, between Hero and MP2.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (13.75 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Ac Kh (three of a kind, aces).
MP2 shows Ad Js (three of a kind, aces).
Outcome: Hero wins 13.75 BB. </font>

Nightwish
05-24-2004, 08:25 PM
Nice. Not sure if a typical Paradise player is any different from a typical Party player. If not, then he would have called your preflop raise with AJo (if not reraised you) and then popped you on the flop.

Ulysses
05-24-2004, 09:02 PM
I would do a lot of things differently here, but one thing I'd definitely do is checkraise the turn.

Mike Haven
05-24-2004, 11:50 PM
nh

with my luck he would've had Ad7d or 7h7d!

Dynasty
05-25-2004, 12:24 AM
The whole point of limping with the AK is to check-raise the flop. A weaker ace, especially AJo, will still think he's good and 3-bet you. Then, you check-raise him again on the turn.

rigoletto
05-25-2004, 12:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would do a lot of things differently here, but one thing I'd definitely do is checkraise the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a good point but I know this guy and he would bet his big A and any big pocket pair till the end. With an A he would just call a turn checkraise and with a pocket pair (besides AA), he would fold most of the time. So I didn't really loose any EV by just calling the turn.

rigoletto
05-25-2004, 12:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The whole point of limping with the AK is to check-raise the flop. A weaker ace, especially AJo, will still think he's good and 3-bet you. Then, you check-raise him again on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

it is very probable that this guy would fold to a double checkraise and he might even fold a big pocket pair for a flop checkraise.

rigoletto
05-25-2004, 12:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Nice. Not sure if a typical Paradise player is any different from a typical Party player. If not, then he would have called your preflop raise with AJo (if not reraised you) and then popped you on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This game had god 'limplied' odds. An early raise would win you the blinds or get you heads up, an early limp would often get you 4-6 way action, raised about half the time.

Steve Giufre
05-25-2004, 04:07 AM
I think you played well, and I don't think you have to checkraise the flop, especialy given your description of the player. If he is the type who will continue betting a big pair until you show some resistance then I like waiting until the river to punish him. Also, if he the type who will easliy get away from a pocket pair, or possibly even a worse ace if you make an early move, then there is no point giving him a chance to throw away his hand.

I may have been tempted to bet the river, although there is no question you got the maximum. I would be thinking about trying to get in three bets, because I would be worreid he may only call the checkraise with a worse ace. Also, he may check the river with JJ, QQ, KK, but he is defintely paying off a bet.

DcifrThs
05-25-2004, 11:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This game had god 'limplied' odds. An early raise would win you the blinds or get you heads up, an early limp would often get you 4-6 way action, raised about half the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, love "limplied" odds!! great term for it.

back when i had a nice bankroll, i moved 5,000 into paradise to try the 20 game there after watching it for a while.

i immediately noticed that at some times the game played as you just described and you had to take a few risks to get money out of your big hands. i didn't immediately, or intuitively, know about being raised with dominated aces (as i learned that from "clarky" as well) but i knew if i raised with QQ, KK, or AA i would just win the blinds or MAYBE get the bb to call. but if i limped a late player would likely raise since that seemed to be the norm at times in those games once identified. so i limp reraised to take advantage of those "limplied" odds.

what you did here was exactly right for those paradise games and i can't believe he went all 4 bets with you on the river. i can think of 3 people i know and played with at the 20 game at paradise who would do that and i was only there a week.

nice hand, obviously other options are worth considering if the guy had different tendencies but you knew him and got him for all he's worth. nice hand.
-Barron

astroglide
05-25-2004, 11:04 AM
it's worth observing the "ripple in a pond" effect here for those who doubt the immediate impact of advice on this forum

MrGo
05-25-2004, 12:31 PM
I like the check/call on the flop...but I would have checkraised him on the turn. If he 3-bets, call...then checkraise the river.