PDA

View Full Version : misplayed on every street!

turnipmonster
05-24-2004, 01:08 PM
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: (3.33 SB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
BB bets, Hero calls, UTG+1 raises, BB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.66 BB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
BB checks, Hero bets, UTG+1 raises, BB folds, Hero calls.

River: (8.66 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 bets, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.66 BB

BigBaitsim (milo)
05-24-2004, 01:24 PM
I'd probably call pre-flop.

Raise on that flop, but I'd likely call a three-bet, then check-fold the turn if the board didn't pair. After the river the board has four to a straight and three to a flush. You are beat and this one isn't even worth one bet.

StellarWind
05-24-2004, 01:32 PM
Preflop is fine.

Bet the flop: likely best hand with a strong draw. Don't give a break to a baby spade, small pair, or gutshot.

The turn and river are pretty normal. You can't fold when all he may have is a big spade and/or a pair. The straight possibilities are mostly runner-runner.

StellarWind
05-24-2004, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
then check-fold the turn if the board didn't pair.

[/ QUOTE ]
Checkfold ten outs to a full house/quads??

bdk3clash
05-24-2004, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise on that flop, but I'd likely call a three-bet, then check-fold the turn if the board didn't pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is awful, awful advice. Even if turnipmonster is behind (who knows?), he's got more than enough pot odds to draw to his boat, if he needs it.

Did you not notice he flopped a set?

[ QUOTE ]
After the river the board has four to a straight and three to a flush. You are beat and this one isn't even worth one bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you so sure turnipmonster's set is no good? This is an easy, easy, call getting almost 10:1. You'd have to be more than 90% certain you're behind to fold correctly in this spot.

turnipmonster
05-24-2004, 01:47 PM
well, I was bet into on the flop but then call reraise was probably the best play. I can profitably ram and jam vs. two callers on the flop, no?

--turnipmonster

bdk3clash
05-24-2004, 01:52 PM
Personally, I raise the flop and take it from there. It's unlikely someone flopped a flush, and high /images/graemlins/spade.gifs aren't going anywhere, so you might as well collect some bets while you're (probably) ahead.

Given your slowplay on the flop, I'm surprised you didn't check-raise the turn. I guess this triggers a 3-bet from a made flush, though, so I can understand betting out and backing off to the raise. The turn raise from UTG+1 is when I start to worry he may have actually flopped a flush. The flop raise could mean anything--the A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, top pair, etc.

Calling UTG+1's turn raise seems right. If he's bluffing/semi-bluffing, give him enough rope to hang himself, and if he isn't, draw cheaply.

River call is standard given the pot size. Folding here would be retarded.

I play preflop and river the same way but raise the flop. My turn play depends on the flop action, so I think you were perfect on 2 of 4 streets. .500 ain't too bad.

turnipmonster
05-24-2004, 01:56 PM
I agree. I should have raised the flop for sure. given that I didn't I should have raised the turn. I felt dirty after this hand.

--turnipmonster

joker122
05-24-2004, 01:59 PM
Check folding the turn would be the worst possible play here.

BaronVonCP
05-24-2004, 02:02 PM
Yes because you likely have the best hand.

bdk3clash
05-24-2004, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
well, I was bet into on the flop but then call reraise was probably the best play. I can profitably ram and jam vs. two callers on the flop, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

The argument against ramming and jamming:

Assuming you are indeed drawing on this flop, it's a statistical dead heat. You're about 2:1 to improve to a boat/quads, and you have 2 opponents.

However, if you call then re-raise, UTG+1 might cap, causing the BB to call 2 more cold, which he isn't guaranteed to do (though I bet he would.)

The argument for ramming and jamming

You might be ahead. Raise.

(Note that ramming and jamming is different from raising, since the purpose of ramming and jamming would be to trap multiple opponents for multiple bets--in this instance, calling the BB's initial bet then call-reraising UTG+1's raise would be ramming and jamming, whereas raising the BB's initial bet wouldn't, since you're not really "trapping" UTG+1.)

PokerNoob
05-24-2004, 02:07 PM
If the table seems very tight and UTG raises get folded around you may want to think about raising preflop. If its going to be a limpfest, then limp.

On the flop, I'm raising BB's bet no matter what. After that, I think there are two ways to play. The first would be to cap a reraise and lead the turn. You do have a lot of outs against a made flush. The second would be to call a 3-bet and checkcall from there unless you fill up.

Since you didn't raise the flop, its a little harder to tell what UTG+1's confidence level is with his turn raise. It looks pretty high, but on the low end it could be something like AT, with the ace of spades. I'm not ready to 3-bet here and face a heads-up cap with a made flush, but I still like my boat outs.

On the river, I think you just have to check call.

BeerMoney
05-24-2004, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
After the river the board has four to a straight and three to a flush. You are beat and this one isn't even worth one bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really disappointing.

StellarWind
05-24-2004, 05:33 PM
Oops. I missed that BB bet the flop. Somehow I thought that you checked to UTG+1 and then called his bet.

Do not call-raise the flop. Raise directly. You want UTG+1 to make the huge but totally understandable mistake of folding a live flush draw. He doesn't know that a hand like A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif is drawing live, but it often is. Take advantage of the fact that he can't see your hand and knock him out. Similar logic applies if he has a no-spade OESD.