PDA

View Full Version : Hitting my set on the Turn: Well-played or wimpy, wimpy, wimpy!

MagicRat
05-24-2004, 11:18 AM
It's early in my session so no reads on anyone, table seems typical. CO's over-all aggression was scaring the bejeezus out of me - should it have? Thanks...

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (11.75 BB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13.75 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Qs Qh (three of a kind, queens).
CO shows 6d 8d (two pair, eights and sixes).
Outcome: Hero wins 13.75 BB. </font>

sublime
05-24-2004, 11:21 AM
3 bet that turn! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

What exactly were you afraid of?

Aces McGee
05-24-2004, 11:47 AM
Betting the turn is only good if you 3 bet it when it comes back raised. Otherwise, you have a pretty clear checkraise here. I'd cap the turn if given the opportunity, and bet out on the river. If he raises again there, then you could make an argument for slowing down. But your hand is pretty well disguised.

McGee

Warik
05-24-2004, 11:56 AM
CO probably flopped a set of 9s, 8s, or 6s. Why do you play the flop so aggressively and then slow down on the turn when you have what is likely to be the best hand. Do you really think CO has T7?

Not sure about the river. Don't fold of course. If you had 3-bet the turn you would have had a better idea of what to do here.

Few people value-bet their flush draws so I'm inclined to bet out on the river and call a raise.

Results of me looking at results in white:
<font color="white">Yup! You should have 3-bet the turn!!! =)</font>

JARID
05-24-2004, 12:22 PM
Magic,

With all due respect, wimpy wimpy wimpy. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Here are my thoughts as I am reading the action. You bet, he raises. Range of holdings; A9, J10, 98, 66, 88, big flush draw. You three bet and he caps. At this point I start to rule out the straight draw and TPTK. In my mind I am facing two pair or a small set.

Him raising you on the turn really tells you nothing. You had to know it was coming. I would three bet, call the cap and then lead out on the river. If he pops it back then just call.

Can I ask why you didn't go for a check raise on the turn? If he were to re-raise the check raise then maybe I would be inclined to take my foot off the gas and think J10, 107. Overall though, you made big hand, put some BBs in there.

Regards,

Jarid