PDA

View Full Version : limit sngs

citanul
05-24-2004, 11:16 AM
hi

i've recently been playing a handful of the party 10+1 sngs, and i was wondering,

i see most of the posts in this forum are about the nl sngs.

as a cash game limit player, i feel more comfortable at the limit tournaments. however, i've felt that since you can't do things like double up when you have a hand in limit, you can easilly lose a limit tournament just by having baddish luck with starting cards. i guess it's pretty obvious that the nl are more popular here, and that the starting cards are less likely to be your determiner because you acn be more patient and kill when you hit.

i guess that wasn't what i was wondering, what i was wondering is if anyone out there has any idea the difference in ITM% expected between the two, if there is one, any advice on general strategy (similar to the "beating the party 10+1" thread?) or if anyone has done something like that already?

are these limit tournaments not the game of choice because they are a less consistently beatable game, or because they are an entirely inconsistently beatable game?

i've been having mild success, but over a small sample size, i hope i don't sound like someone who has been losing and is whining now /images/graemlins/smile.gif

thanks,

citanul

tolbiny
05-24-2004, 11:20 AM
the reason no limit are more popular here is that it requires more skill. Knowing how much to bet, and when to call bets and when to raise is tougher than in a fixed limit game. Because of this good players have a larger advantage over weaker players so your EV should be higher against equal competition. I sure that the limit tourneys are beatable if the 10+1 NL are beatable for 40%+ ROI- what the difference is i am not sure....

Victor
05-24-2004, 12:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
are these limit tournaments not the game of choice because they are a less consistently beatable game, or because they are an entirely inconsistently beatable game?

[/ QUOTE ]

my results from exclusively 10+1 limit sng on party
109 tournaments
50 itm for a 45.9% rate
10 1sts
17 2nds
23 3rds
gives $2.49/tourn and 22.6% roi

So, clearly it is beatable. I am a good but not great player so I am sure that these numbers are can be improved upon.

[ QUOTE ]
i guess that wasn't what i was wondering, what i was wondering is if anyone out there has any idea the difference in ITM% expected between the two, if there is one

[/ QUOTE ]

My numbers seem to be in line with a winning nl player. Most people believe that nl takes more skill so a good player can take more advantage. This would lead to a good player being able to make more at nl than at limit.

poorbus96
05-24-2004, 05:41 PM
Just some thoughts on limit sng's in general, except for ITM% don't have enough hands in to give a good honest answer. All I can say is my bankroll goes up and down but so far it's up higher than it was before. The past two months all I have played are party 5+1 SnGs,,,some of the worst you can enter as far as ROI because of steep buy -in but Im playing them for experience and its only place Im set-up right now. Im sure as you move up the buy-in ladder the competition gets pretty tough. And as far as which is more difficult nl/limit Mason has some great essays regarding the topic. And I know threads about this can be found by searching 2+2

As a beginner but also as a competitor I like the limit format. Hand selection seems even more important, pre and post flop play have to be pretty good to be successful.

The increase in the stakes makes for some interesting play as the hands progress, you eventually face the ever eventful all-in situation or the position of forcing someone else all-in based on position and stack size.

I think you get more of a chance to read your opponent it gives you time to create an image,,,

The only thing different is the ability to calculate your pot odds and know what percentage of a bet to make to force your opponents into mistakes or realize when they are forcing you into a mistake...Ok so there is alot missing from nl to limit

IMO good strategy advice for limit would be play tight/aggressive although not too aggressive, not too tight. Every hand is situational...like baseball. Ever play little league, they say when your in the field before every pitch know the situation...There are so many factors that go into a poker play

WOW I have to stop

Sorry lol, just runnin on now but Im not deleting it /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
you can easilly lose a limit tournament just by having baddish luck with starting cards

[/ QUOTE ]

can easily lose anything having baddish luck with starting cards