PDA

View Full Version : JJ in MP

ddubois
05-24-2004, 10:30 AM
I think I botched this. I think I want to cap the flop, lead the turn, and fold to a turn raise?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.75 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.75 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 10.75 BB, between BB and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by BB (10.75 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB shows 2s 4s (straight, six high).
Hero shows Jd Js (one pair, jacks).
Outcome: BB wins 10.75 BB. </font>

StellarWind
05-24-2004, 11:46 AM
I would cap the flop. There are many hands I am ahead of such as A6, 88, 44, 87, or a flush draw. I'm not going to put him on a set or two perfect little cards (straight, two pair).

When the third heart comes I would call him down if he bets out or bet if he checks. I'm not going to let go of an overpair heads up when I am often ahead and have outs against two pair.

sublime
05-24-2004, 11:58 AM
SW-

Why so aggressive with player who bets into preflop raiser from the blind with a coordinated board. We already lost the straggler and now are HU. Villian is not going to fold, so why not just call it down unimproved? if we spike or the board pair's, stick a c/r in his eye.

StellarWind
05-24-2004, 01:08 PM
I cap the flop because I think it is a value bet. No tricky motives.

Remember he called a raise preflop. That increases the chance that he flopped a draw or a pair rather than a straight or two pair because he might not play two random little cards.

Also I tend to expect a made hand to checkraise the flop or slowplay. The direct attack hints at fear of giving a free card to overcards (pair) or a semibluff (pure draw). This is not a strong inference but I think it has some value.

As is so often the case, a read would be worth a thousand theories. I'm playing for him to be someone who would treat my flop raise as overcards and keep attacking. If I knew he was passive I'd agree with your approach.

PokerNoob
05-24-2004, 01:34 PM
This is a leak in my own game I'm trying to fix. I think I cap the flop and fold to his turn bet or checkraise, particularly when the turn flushes. He's obviously unafraid of overpairs, which means he's got something really good, or he is a big overpair, like something above jacks. On this board, I find myself drawing dead more often than not, and to a two outer when I'm not.

Its been my experience when showing these types of hands down, that I'm beat 95% of the time.

blackaces13
05-24-2004, 02:04 PM
There's almost nothing you can beat on the turn. That said I probably call him down as well.

I believe a fold on the turn is a better play than calling down but it takes some real restraint to actually do it.