PDA

View Full Version : Thin x 4 streets

Nate tha' Great
05-24-2004, 08:07 AM
All opponents are pretty loose aggressive, including the preflop raiser.

Now, here's the thing: I think most folks would take one on the flop getting 10:1 with something like QJ, but is it not true that my outs are more likely to be good when my overcards are a 9 and a 7? I also had a little bit of backdoor straight potential.

On the turn, I figured that, hell, if I was going to go through all that trouble to call with a 9 and a 7, I might as well have gone for a big score. Button was not the type to check behind.

There's a good argument for checking-and-calling on the river, since I actually do think that I need to call a raise; on the other hand, I had every reason to believe that I was ahead as of the turn, and I didn't want to miss a value bet.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Nate Tha Great is BB with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, MP folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, Nate Tha Great calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
SB checks, Nate Tha Great checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB calls, Nate Tha Great calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
SB checks, Nate Tha Great checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">Nate Tha Great raises</font>, UTG folds, Button calls.

River: (10 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Nate Tha Great bets</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 12 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 12 BB, between Nate Tha Great and Button.</font>

lil'
05-24-2004, 08:31 AM
You played this hand much differently than I would have.

Pre-flop I would have mucked.

On the turn I would have bet in an attempt to pick up the pot right there and then. HU I would might CR, but I don't want that SB hanging around. Did you know that these guys were likely to be holding a card lower than your nine, or do you think they held overcards?

stripsqueez
05-24-2004, 10:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Now, here's the thing: I think most folks would take one on the flop getting 10:1 with something like QJ, but is it not true that my outs are more likely to be good when my overcards are a 9 and a 7? I also had a little bit of backdoor straight potential

[/ QUOTE ]

i fold QJo here - pot odds are good - rest is very bad

i call pre-flop with this a bit - i think the turn and river are good

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

Ulysses
05-24-2004, 02:12 PM
I fold pre-flop and on the flop.

I was thinking about this just yesterday - I folded something like 89 on a baby flop and right after folding thought to myself, hmmm, I wouldn't fold AK there. But the problem, of course, is that it's much easier to beat something like TT with AK.