PDA

View Full Version : Heads-Up Play @ Pokerstars...

Prof. Booty
05-24-2004, 04:13 AM
Okay, first time poster here but been reading for a while now - good stuff.

I am in a serious rut.

I've been playing SnG's on PS for about 8-9 months. I don't play much (mostly b/c I've been busy with college and stuff) but now that the summer is here I will be playing a lot more. I'm averaging 8 or so a day the last few weeks but want to do even more after I move on June 1st.

I can't really say which SnG's I've mainly played because I've moved around a lot. I started at the $5.50 2-tables with the occasional $11 now and again. Then, I moved to the $11 single tables, which I played for a while.

However, after a bad streak of not cashing, I was feeling pretty bad so I decided to play some of the Heads-Up SnG's because I figured a would cash more often in those. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

After playing some of them, I was having an insane win rate, so I started to play those exclusively for a while (so much so that now, I have played more of those than the other SnG's). But I eventually went back to the single tables - $11's and $22's (but b/c of bankroll issues, mostly the $11's).

But back to the point of the post...

Lately, these SnG's have been killing me. Over the last big string of single table tourneys, my ITM isn't horrible (in the 40%'s) but my return is. And this is squarely because of my lack of 1st places during this streak...less than a third of my total ITM finishes.

Now I'd like to think this is partly a bad streak, but I know it's not all a bad streak. My heads-up play has been getting me into trouble. And it's not like I don't know what I'm doing heads-up (I mean, I did play those HU tourneys for a long while), but I'm still playing a little scared I think...the blinds are so big by the end of the tournament that it's a completely different story from the HU SnG's when you start at 10/20 blinds with 1500 in chips. Instead, at 400/800 blinds and average stack of 6750, you play one hand badly and you're toast. I know for a fact from my records that the lengths of the PS tourneys have increased by about 50% since when I started. So not only are the blinds bigger when it DOES get down to two, but in general I take this to indicate that the players are at least a little better on PS now.

So I don't know what to do. I didn't have this much trouble getting 1sts before (though I don't think I was ever great at it either - whats a good number for 1sts anyway?). I was actually thinking of switching to PP, except I hate their structure. I had money on Empire so I played some of the PP-style tourneys on there; did pretty well but I didn't play a ton (like 30-40 I think). Ironically, on PP my ITM wasn't too great but my return was good because I had more 1sts than anything. Figure that one out... /images/graemlins/confused.gif

I was also looking at UB because I hear their structure is better than PP (but of course worse than PS) and the players are worse than PS (but of course better than PP)...what to do, what to do?

Any help, advice, therapy would be greatly appreciated.

BTW - whats a good ROI for single tables? Also, anyone know what would be considered good ITM and ROI at the HU SnG's? ...just wondering how I should rate my results - I know I was making money so it can't be bad. /images/graemlins/smile.gif