PDA

View Full Version : #1, #2 and now #10 from 2003 are out

GrinningBuddha
05-24-2004, 01:51 AM
Phil Ivey gets sent home when he makes a pair of Jacks to go with his AKo and his opponent (from Pokerstars apparently) shows him the other two. We'll definitely be getting a final table rewrite from last year!

The WET BEAVER
05-24-2004, 02:20 AM
stu unger won back to back WSOPs in the early 80's. he came back the following year and got knocked out the first day.

BlackAces
05-24-2004, 08:44 AM
That's just terrible poker. How do you bust on the first day holding nothing? Even if he's all in before the flop, he's going in on a coinflip.

"You can't win it on the first day, but you can sure lose it..."

B Dids
05-24-2004, 10:57 AM
A- AK isn't nothing.

B- Without being at the table, knowing the players, knowing what reads Phil thought he had, you just can't make this statement.

We're going to hear stuff like this all week aren't we?

BlackAces
05-24-2004, 11:19 AM
Read the DN thread. I wouldn't be surprised if Phil thought he could bluff some guy he's never met out of a big pot just because he's Phil Ivey.

And on a JJxxx board, AK is nothing -- nut no pair (well, one pair in this case).

B Dids
05-24-2004, 12:14 PM
JJ is a lot if you don't put him on a Jack.

I'm pretty sure that it was JJ vs. AK before the flop then he flopped quads, but I could be wrong.

Michael Davis
05-24-2004, 01:19 PM
Clearly, this is an overgeneralized statement.

It is not bad poker if Ivey (as I suspect) was the one who moved all-in preflop. I seriously doubt he called off a bunch of chips with AKo.

I suggest it is his opponent who played worse if HE called off a bunch of chips with JJ.

I don't understand the irrational fear of being put out out on the first day. If Ivey and other like Juanda can accumulate a big stack on day one, they have excellent odds of finishing high in the money, as they are deadly when wielding these stacks. In a field of 2600, it is unquestionably worth it to gamble it up in situations like this, especially if you are the one putting pressure on your opponent. There is a big difference between pushing stacks around and intimidating your opponent and calling off significant chips in coin toss situations.

Besides, losing a coin toss with 2000 people left is better than with 500.

-Michael