PDA

View Full Version : AA cracked....at least it was interesting

invictus
05-24-2004, 01:37 AM
Playing a NL Holdem Tourney. Final table, down to 4 players, top 3 spots pay. I'm dealt A/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/club.gif. Blinds are 150/300. I am the small stack with about 3100 chips; Big Stack has ~10500, 2nd Stack has ~6500, 3rd stack has ~4500. I raise 500. Small Blind folds. Big Blind re-raises 800. UTG has already folded. I move all-in. Big Blind calls. Turns over Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/club.gif.

Flop is:

10/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Turn is

A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

River is

6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Aces cracked by a very unlikely flush.

My question is, Did I play this hand correctly? I had the best hand before the flop, but is going all-in in that situation the correct play? Had I just called or re-raised moderately, I may have been able to avoid getting knocked out and finishing one out of the money...again.

Some background that may help, I was the tighest, most aggressive player at the table. The guy who called is decent but no world-beater, and I figured him for a large pair when I was re-raised.

gavrilo
05-24-2004, 01:49 AM
You are the small stack, getting all-in preflop with Aces is the best possible situation. If this was a large tourney where the cutoff was much much higher and people were extremely low in chips, there are instances where folding AA might be the best play, however your play is fine.

Also, there is a tournament forum.

invictus
05-24-2004, 02:01 AM
good call, I'll repost it there

Garland
05-24-2004, 03:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My question is, Did I play this hand correctly? I had the best hand before the flop, but is going all-in in that situation the correct play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Anytime you can get it all-in before the flop with AA, it's a good thing, and you did all you can do. QQ also did the right thing. You can't control the outcome of the board.

That said, with the blinds at 150-300 and your stack at 3100, I would raise more than just 500 initially, and would prefer at least 3x the blinds, which is 900. Mini-raises are so suspicious...

Garland

1800GAMBLER
05-24-2004, 08:55 AM
I feel like bitchin' too.

Ladbrokes cruise tournament, $700 + $40 buy in. I'm short stacked all through this tournament and usually always 4th from last. I work my way up to T10k with 500/1000 blinds, 14 left and i'm 12th and the top 8 get the boat, with average stack being about 13k.

I get JJ UTG and make it T3k, player behind pushes in for T12k. I figure if i call this and win the hand i win the boat, if i fold now i'll go out pretty soon anyhow. Moreso i'm expecting to be at worse a coin flip. I call. He has ATo.

Flop: 8 8 2. Turn: A River: Not a jack.

$7000 turn card.