PDA

View Full Version : Psychological prep

Ohio Guy
05-23-2004, 07:49 PM
This may be a problem for some in high stakes games, but I know its got to be a problem for some out there in small stakes land.

I've only been playing for about 9 months now, but I've done a LOT of reading, a lot of thinking, and a lot of playing during that time.

I still have one major problem, and the books never seem to address it.

How do you keep your spirits/confidence up in small stakes games where people playing cards you KNOW they shouldn't be playing, and calling bets you KNOW they shouldn't be calling (pair of 2's to the river) seem to always get lucky on you? I know you're supposed to win 'in the long run', but it sure seems like the long run can be a mighty long wait. I've had months go by where I've done great, followed by weeks or months (like right now) where I'm always getting crushed.

When this happens, my first assumption is that I'm playing poorly, so I usually test myself against Wilson Poker. (A few 200 hand challenges against Mike, I usually beat or come close to Mike's results against a loose lineup). From what I can tell, I'm playing the same way. But online, I'm running into insane wackos with special dispensation from the pope or something.

Obviously, when the cards are turning your way, you thank your lucky stars that the bozos are out there calling your AA to the river with a 22. But when the cards are breaking their way, continually....what are you supposed to do to keep your head straight?

As I'm sure you can guess, I'm in that 'God hates me' zone right now, and am at a loss for what to do besides hang up my guns.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

PS: Don't read further if you're tired of bad beats.

BB story of the day:
triple draw a-5 lowball. Dealt a 6-432A low, raise flop. Called in two places. One draws 3, other draws 4!. Bet, get raised by 'fish' who drew 4, other folds. Reraise, get capped. Call it down, beaten by 5 low. God may hate me, but thats ok, cuz God's a #$#$@%%@@.

This type of scenario has been happening to me at least once for every two hours that I've been playing, and my call % is usually around 23-25%, including blinds...do I need an exorcist?

Warik
05-23-2004, 09:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
BB story of the day:
triple draw a-5 lowball.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would sympathize if I could ever figure out how these games work. I've had to skip over a bunch of TOP when Sklansky starts talking about these strange games.

JTG51
05-23-2004, 11:09 PM
How do you keep your spirits/confidence up in small stakes games where people playing cards you KNOW they shouldn't be playing, and calling bets you KNOW they shouldn't be calling...

The part in italics should be all it takes to keep your spirits up.

While it's not at all unlikely that your losing streak is due to bad luck, as a new players it's a good sign that you are open to the idea that it's due to bad play. Constantly reviewing your play can only help.

bernie
05-24-2004, 01:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How do you keep your spirits/confidence up in small stakes games where people playing cards you KNOW they shouldn't be playing, and calling bets you KNOW they shouldn't be calling (pair of 2's to the river) seem to always get lucky on you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Change to:

people playing cards you want them to be playing, and calling bets you want them to be calling (pair of 2's to the river) .

These types of tables tend to have higher swings.

Take a break, look into hands on the forum or post some. Look at how you're making profits 'during' a hand not just at the result. Realize how much these players are actually losing even though they make their hands on the end. Compare it with their odds to beat you.

No one said it was an easy or non frustrating game at times. When you feel the way you do, again, take a break. Then come back and attack it with a fresh mind.

We've all been there for the most part. Everyone will agree that it sucks getting used to these runs. The more you play, the easier it can get. After awhile, nothing really suprises you in what they'll turn over. This is actually a tough hurdle for many to get over. Some never do learn how to deal with the constant barrages that happen.

Slavic had a funny comment to me after he saw the (hopefully) end of my bad run. One of my last hands that i got rivered on, he looks to me and says, "I want to know your lottery numbers. So then i know exactly which numbers NOT to pick."

b

edgarciajr
05-24-2004, 02:18 AM
I was glad to see your post b/c I have had the same experience this week. I played 3/6 for two days and took a beating b/c idiots were playing dumb cards and hitting. I also felt a long run of cold cards. So I stepped up to 6/12, and did not catch any cards at all for 3 hours. I took a few days off and reread "Zen and the Art of Poker" and "Inside the Poker Mind." The books reminded me to be patient and deal with the flucuations. I'll be back playing next week. I recommend them to you.

Don't worry about how much you are up right now, just worry about how you are playing your hand right now.

Eddie

Ohio Guy
05-24-2004, 03:28 AM
Its been a few months since I've looked at "Inside the Poker Mind" so I'll definitely check it out again. Although I don't have a copy of Zen, my Dad does. I browsed through it once, and it seemed kinda fluffy, so didn't pay a lot of attention to it. It may be just the thing to look at now.

Ohio Guy
05-24-2004, 03:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Slavic had a funny comment to me after he saw the (hopefully) end of my bad run. One of my last hands that i got rivered on, he looks to me and says, "I want to know your lottery numbers. So then i know exactly which numbers NOT to pick."

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Although I don't know who Slavic is (I probably should), I definitely know the feeling.

Taking a break is good advice...after a while, I start to expect the suckouts, and if for no other reason, I think I should stop playing because its no longer fun. But then again, I think to myself that the books say "stay in a game as long as its good" and honestly, I'm not sure which way to go.

Maybe the answer is to quit when its no longer fun, at least until I get a thicker skin. I've had unlucky streaks of a week or so before, but never a month, and its definitely unnerving. I'm hoping that I'm one of the players that can get past the "barrages" that you speak of. I think poker is an incredibly interesting game, and would hate to stop progressing simply because I ran into a statistical anomoly (i.e streak of bad luck)

Though even as I write this, I'm afraid that I'm a living statistical anomoly...

bernie
05-24-2004, 09:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
But then again, I think to myself that the books say "stay in a game as long as its good" and honestly, I'm not sure which way to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

The other part you left out is, "...as long as it's good, AND you're playing well."

It doesnt matter how good the game is if your in a funk and your game has deteriorated as a result. This happens. It can also be tough to admit that even though you know the game is good, at the moment, you're not in the right frame of mind to really beat it.

I've walked away from gravy ass games because of this. Getting beat so bad i started to get timid. Realizing spots where i should be raising or betting and not doing it. I rack up and leave. The game will always be there. Swings happen. Go out, clear the head, come back and attack later.

Good point about it being fun. If you're really not having fun, and it's affecting you, that may be a good sign to cut the session short.

b

LetsRock
05-24-2004, 11:40 AM
A lot of this has to do with YOUR psycological makeup. Many people claim to be able to tolerate these stretches. Some of us have a VERY hard time dealing with it.

I KNOW, that these idiots are the paychecks and that I should not get upset about "stupid" beats, but after about an hour of watching my chips slide across the table to them and then have them redistribute them to someone else (because my cards are running cold), I get a little unnerved. Despite knowing that I'm way up over the long run, it's just not fun to have those sessions where people win despite themselves and I end up being the doner.

One thing that helps me a little, is to have real accurate records so you can SEE your longterm profits. Losing $40-$50-$100 in a session is a little less painful when you can SEE that you're still up $2000 over the last year.

If I get to a point in the game where I just can't take it anymore, I quit for a while so I don't start making bad decisions - that would compound the problem in a big way. I know general advice says to not leave a "juicy" table just because you're down a few bets, but if your emotions are preventing you from "playing correctly", you're no longer in a profitable situation and it's time to take a break or quit.

Dealing with "stupid" beats is something to work on. I am getting better (can last longer before it starts getting to me), but I still need to improve in this department.

StellarWind
05-24-2004, 12:23 PM
My experience has been that I get used to it. By that I mean that as I get more hands under my belt I can tolerate bigger and bigger slides before I become depressed. When I first started I lived and died over 15-minute swings. Gradually I learned to remain placid through longer bad runs.

My personal key is that the lost money doesn't bother me per se. I can't stand the implication that I'm a losing player. The more history of good results I have to bolster my ego, the less I worry about the short-term.

The problem is every time I increase limits means starting over. How can I be a winning player in the new game if I'm getting stomped? The fact that I am obviously one of the few players at the table that can play poker is not emotionally sufficient.

My solution is that being brave means doing what you think is correct when you are afraid. I've resolved to keep going back to the game in the knowledge that the cards will eventually turn and I will get used to the bad runs.

Short-term:

1. Do take a break if you are upset. Even if you don't act on emotions like fear, anger, and despair, they still destroy your concentration and creativity.

2. When I'm depressed with my results but still want to play, a sit-n-go works wonders. It's a clean slate, my risk is limited, and I can just play and have fun. Even when I lose I feel better because I relax and have fun.

bernie
05-24-2004, 07:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When I'm depressed with my results but still want to play, a sit-n-go works wonders. It's a clean slate, my risk is limited, and I can just play and have fun. Even when I lose I feel better because I relax and have fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a great change of pace/scenery on the felt. Especially since it will also limit losses for a time, as you stated. It does help put you in a different frame of mind, to a degree.

You can also get into a limit tourney and just go apesh*t maniacal. That's a way to blow some steam. It's entertaining to watch/read everyone else bemoaning your play and such, and you're just there to blow some chips in a very controlled capacity. It's even better when you gain alot of chips early by a miracle run and win/come close to winning it. The railbird yappers love that. You'll have your own fanclub (primarily guys you knock out) following you table to table telling you how much you suck. Which is kinda comical if ya think about it. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

b

Ohio Guy
05-24-2004, 08:00 PM
I really like this idea too. I started learning poker by entering the 5 and 10 dollar sit and go's because I could see a lot of hands for a small investment. I haven't played many lately, because the ring games seem to offer a better return on time invested. But the sit and go's offer a lot of advantages when you are running cold. Limited risk, bunch of chips to mess around with (even blow off steam, as you say) and if for no other reason, I always get a certain satisfaction out of watching the worst of the lot blow off 80% of their chips before the limits get past 25/50.

bernie
05-24-2004, 08:23 PM
One reason i mentioned a 'limit' tourney. Read Dan Negreanu's 'Party Day!' atricle. (kidpoker.com, i think) It might give ya some ideas.

b