PDA

View Full Version : Getting in too Deep

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-23-2004, 09:46 AM
Foxwoods Act I satellite yesterday. Top 3 places get a buy-into an Act II.

2nd level, blinds are 25/50, I have 925 (10,000 chips in play).

I get A /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/club.gif in the CO. One MP limper to me and I make it 200 to go. SB calls, BB folds, limper calls. (pot = 500)

Flop 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Checked to me, I bet 200, SB calls instantly, MP folds. Note: I normally don't like the underbet, but in my recent experience, with the stack sizes here relative to the blinds, this type bet in last position often takes down the pot. In addition, if I'm getting sandbagged by a made flush, I can fold to a big checkraise. Now the immediate call by the SB suggests to me that he has a big /images/graemlins/heart.gif and 2 overcards.

(pot = 900)

Turn: 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

He checks. I pick up my entire stack, look at him and put down the chips and bet only 200, trying to make him think I'm trying to trap him. He thinks for a bit and raises to 400. Now I just find this strange. I'm pot-committed, he's got me covered by a few hundred, so why not put me all-in? Now, I'm playing this pot for all my chips, but I just call, still believing he has K /images/graemlins/heart.gif and if he checks the river I'm going to bet my measly 125 and see if he folds his busted draw.

River card and results later.

Blast away at my strange play.

hyde
05-23-2004, 08:40 PM
NOt sure I'm much help, as I tend to wade too deep with that hand as well.
add a dash of inexperiance and you have an opinion of questionable worth..................

so given your stack size, and the SB quick call on your post flop bet,I would have taken the free card on the turn. Or put it all in if you think he'll run. but a free card on a short stack is nice. Otherwise you were indeed pot committed. (unless you buy into that chip and a chair thing...)
AND...I suspect he might have read your chip shuffle bluff....

I'm reading him for a pair of 7s. one a heart.

now the suspense is killing me. What did he have???

hyde

La Brujita
05-23-2004, 08:48 PM
Hi Kurn,

What was the stack size of SB? I seriously think about checking the turn behind him. This seems a bit like the hand in TPFAP where you check top pair and the flush draw (but of course you don't have a pair). I have no idea what SB has but I think he is probably not laying down the hand to a bet of 200 so I am not sure what it accomplishes other than building the pot and perhaps leaving yourself vulnerable to a reraise.

Regards

C M Burns
05-23-2004, 08:49 PM
I agree i think your flop play is fine, but i think it is a mistake to not take the free card, it seem very likley he will call a smaller bet, and if you are trying to push him off something the river would probably be a better place. it is just too much of a risk in this situation.

salty
05-23-2004, 10:08 PM
Did the guy check his cards on the flop? Is he any good? I dont think its a flush hes sandbagging more likely a set.I cant see him having a str or just a pair with that board.The K Hi fl is still a pos and your chip bluff might have given him the incentive to re raise when he did.If its a set hes played it well(if hes prepared to allow you draw),if its a fl draw hes played it badly if its a pair using the board he needs his head examined (calling Ax for 200).

I like your raise pre flop and I can understand your caution on the flop though I dont really like it.Its not nice leaving early but sometimes in tourneys youve got to make bold moves and hope for the best (if its a re buy im all in on the flop).

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-23-2004, 10:16 PM
I agree with the majority opinion that I should have taken the free card on the turn.

River was the beatiful T /images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB called my small river bet and flipped over K /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I was lucky, sure, but in his shoes there's no way I let the preflop raiser draw cheaply to a 4th heart when I don't have the A.