PDA

View Full Version : How do you play 99/TT/JJ in Levels 1-3 ??

jslag
05-23-2004, 09:06 AM
I'm curious what a good strategy is for pocket pairs like 99, TT, and JJ, in the earlier rounds of SNGs -- or when there are still 8-10 players in the game.

Do you like to open up a raise when you're first in with these hands? I assume it may depend on position.

I tend to limp with these hands and only call 2-3xBB raises with TT or JJ, maybe 99 if I'm in late position. If there's a maniac all-in preflop raiser that has been pushing too often I also like to call with these (especially if he's got something like 300 chips left). Usually end up taking out AK or AQ.

Any suggestions for pre/post-flop play of these hands, especially pre-flop? I'm familiar with the 'Set It or Forget It' strategies...

/images/graemlins/spade.gif J. /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Hood
05-24-2004, 10:38 AM
'Usually end up taking out AK or AQ'

... then you're lucky. You're not much of a favourite to 2 overcards. On an early round, I don't want to get all in with these odds. With 99, even a maniac is likely to have to cards over yours.

I limp with 99 & TT, and open raise JJ 3x BB. With JJ there's a good chance you'll flop an overpair and you can be aggressive, but with 99 (and TT) you're looking to hit your set. I want to get in cheap with these hands and won't stand a bit raise.

/the usual caveat: I'm a relatively new player, so this is all just my opinion.

Jason Strasser
05-24-2004, 11:41 AM
Just think about WHY you are raising.

Common reasons:
1) To thin the field.
2) To steal the blinds.
3) To open up the stream of communication between you and other players, and so you have a better chance to put your opponent on a hand.

With the blinds low, you are not raising to steal the blinds. Therefore you either want a ton of people to the flop, or one other person. So you can play the fun game known as "Set or Fold", or you can raise and isolate.

In early position, early in a tournament, I limp with all these hands. I do not want to call a big raise out of position. And usually, its too early to have a read on your table, and I feel its more profitable for me to limp with these hands.

In middle or late position, if there are no limpers to me, I prefer to play the raise and isolate game. Since my dreams of having 8 to the flop and hitting top set are over, I want to play these hands one on one. I also have less of a chance of running into a large reraise.

If I succeed in getting my opponent heads up, I almost always bet pot on the flop if I have position. Chances are he missed, and will fold. A pot bet at this point shouldn't pot commit you either. I love being agressive though. If your opponent shows signs of life, shut it down.

This was all a little vague, but I hope you can see my general mindset with hands like this.

poorbus96
05-24-2004, 01:22 PM
Sounds like the advice I've been given about pocket pairs especially 99 tt jj. I would probably play 7s and 8s the same way, heck maybe even all pairs the same as Jason describes, not counting the smaller ones in early position only because I dont want to be faced with a raise.

I think the key is if you can have control of these hands (99 tt jj) you can create profitable situations. I dont always play them set or forget but that is probably the best advice if an opponent shows superior strength.

Beavis68
05-24-2004, 05:07 PM
There is a very easy and time proven why to play these hands.

Pre-flop, you raise 3x - on the flop, you fold.

Seriously, I almost always raise with these hands, and the further back I am the more I will raise. I usually take a shot at the flop too if I open it, unless an A or a K hits. Qs and Js dont scare me as much. If you can get heads up with someone with two overcards, odds are the flop with miss them, and if you have 99 and someone calls you with JJ and a you and the flop is Q high, you may get them to lay it down with a bet. Just don't get over involved. I even called in all-in once with JJ pre-flop against a complete maniac. I doubled up too.