PDA

View Full Version : AKo, should I cap pre?

Saborion
05-23-2004, 03:23 AM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP2 is VERY loose pre, and loose post. I've never seen him fold when it's only 2 cold to him. So, should I cap this hand pre-flop in situations like this?

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (13.50 SB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (8.75 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, UTG+1 folds.

River: (11.75 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 13.75 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 13.75 BB, between Hero and MP3.</font>

Trix
05-23-2004, 04:53 AM
Yes you should cap, it will win more than its share (25%).

You should also consider check-raising the flop. He probably wont raise you unless he has the Ace, but he will probably bet if checked to.

bernie
05-24-2004, 12:47 AM
Why wouldnt you cap here? Unless the 3 bettor is a very tight 3 bettor.

I cap with AK along with a few other hands. I kind of use the same capping standard as what i raise in the SB with.
Think about it, what do you normally raise with in the sb, and what do you cap preflop from where ever with? Is it really obvious what youd have to be betting in these spots? Some opponents may not notice anyways, but might be something to ponder.

It'd be interesing what MP3 married.

b

BigBaitsim (milo)
05-24-2004, 01:12 AM
Cap it. You are even or ahead of any other hand but AA or KK, and only a small dog to KK. Lost this earlier tonight to AQ when the Q hit on the river and won with it when my opponent capped with 88. I'd play both the same way if I'd had a peek at his cards, which I did not.

GuyOnTilt
05-24-2004, 02:58 AM
It'd be interesing what MP3 married.

C'mon bernie. I know you're a better hand-reader than that. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

GoT

JTG51
05-24-2004, 03:16 AM
You are even or ahead of any other hand but AA or KK, and only a small dog to KK.

I assume the last part is a typo and you meant QQ, so I won't comment on that.

I just made this comment in another thread, but here it goes again. We're not playing showdown poker here. Showdown win percentages are extremely helpful when you're playing no limit and can get all in preflop, but not nearly as useful for limit.

Also, saying that he's in good shape against all hands but AA and KK doesn't have a lot of value since the preflop 3-bet makes AA and KK significantly more likely than most other hands.

I'm not necessarily arguing against caping preflop, although it is a big mistake against many opponents. I'm just saying that you should be a little more careful in how you think about the question.

Saborion
05-24-2004, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I cap with AK along with a few other hands. I kind of use the same capping standard as what i raise in the SB with.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm behind to any hand that he's likely to 3-bet with, except AK, which I even with. I cap because the other players in the pot will make up for the times I'm behind or doesn't hit an A or a K?

[ QUOTE ]
Think about it, what do you normally raise with in the sb

[/ QUOTE ]
In the SB? AA-TT, AK(s), AQ(s), KQs. Normally. A few more depending on how many players are in, what kind etc.

[ QUOTE ]
and what do you cap preflop from where ever with?

[/ QUOTE ]
AK(s), AA-QQ.

[ QUOTE ]
Is it really obvious what youd have to be betting in these spots?

[/ QUOTE ]
It is. Imo. Should I cap with AKo in this spot for value? For deception? For both? Mostly for deception, but also because it can be the best hand out there, although it's not likely?

Saborion
05-24-2004, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, saying that he's in good shape against all hands but AA and KK doesn't have a lot of value since the preflop 3-bet makes AA and KK significantly more likely than most other hands

[/ QUOTE ]
Why is AA and KK more likely than QQ and JJ?

Saborion
05-24-2004, 02:42 PM
MP3 had QQ. My hand is good.

JTG51
05-24-2004, 02:47 PM
Why is AA and KK more likely than QQ and JJ?

I didn't actually say that but it is true, although only marginally.

Nearly everyone will 3-bet with AA or KK. Less players will 3-bet with QQ or JJ. That should be obvious, right?

bernie
05-24-2004, 07:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I cap because the other players in the pot will make up for the times I'm behind or doesn't hit an A or a K?

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone else who might hold an A or K will pay you off all the way.

[ QUOTE ]
Should I cap with AKo in this spot for value? For deception? For both? Mostly for deception, but also because it can be the best hand out there, although it's not likely?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure how much you're losing by capping AKo here even if you're behind. Especially if these players will pay you off if you hit. Deception it helps if their are some observant players on the table. I save lots of bets postflop, where others on the table would pay off, when i see very tight cappers preflop.

Now, if this is a super tightie, i might only call his 3 bet knowing im likely buried by AA or KK. But that's a pretty tight 3 bettor. This type of bettor many times, will be fairly predictable postflop.

In general, id cap this. With more players in, i 'might' cap with KQs, AQs and AJs.

Remeber, as you've indicated a little, you have to watch tighter raisers postflop. Tight raisers, sometimes, wont bluff much. So you can maybe get away from a hand later on.

b

bicyclekick
05-24-2004, 07:49 PM
Am I the only one that about never caps with AKo less it's like heads up with the blinds or against a LAG or maniac?

AKs on the other hand i'll cap.

bernie
05-24-2004, 08:21 PM
I dont always cap with it. But i do do it alot.

b

Saborion
05-24-2004, 10:14 PM
I never cap anything HU. Should I?

bicyclekick
05-24-2004, 11:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I never cap anything HU. Should I?

[/ QUOTE ]

For me it makes the rest of the hand easier to play, and I just may have the best hand.

If I cap pre-flop and the flop is rags, there is less of a chance he'll get fancy with me, as he'll be more likely to think I have a big pair. More chance his turn raise means he's got it.

Maybe I'm stupid and wrong, but that's my rationel for it.

I actually haven't been doing it as much as I should probably. I originally was when it appeared I was going for a steal raise, but I think just in general it's not a bad idea.

Trix
05-25-2004, 12:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Nearly everyone will 3-bet with AA or KK. Less players will 3-bet with QQ or JJ. That should be obvious, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Since Hero holds AK, opponent can only hold AA,KK six ways, but QQ,JJ twice as often. So if more than 50% of his opponents will 3bet with QQ,JJ(and I think they will), then QQ,JJ is more likely.
Also, some will 3bet with TT,AQ and if an Ace or King flops, the chance of his opponent holding AA,KK goes down, so TPTK will very often be good.