PDA

View Full Version : The weather outside is frightfull....

tolbiny
05-23-2004, 01:12 AM
On my way home on friday afternoon- supposedly, the plane is on the runway in ohare, when we turn around and return to the gate. A woman and her daughter get off the plane- and the captain comes over the speaker opologises for the brief delay. Five mins later the pilot comes on again and coughs a few times. For those of you who dont fly often, when the pilot- a guy whose job it is to fly 300 people at 400 miles an hour on a daily basis- is nervous its a BAD Frickin sign.
"Ladies and gentlemen, we will be delayed here in Chicago for quite some time. There is a front of thunderstorms 90 miles west of Cleveland, and moving quite quickly. Because we had to return to the gate we missed our opportunity to fly around the weather so we will have to wait out the storms here, we aploogize for the inconvience."

so with an extra two hours of life to kill, and no poker books i decided to write a list of what i needed to improve on in both my single and multitable tournies.
its a tad long...

1. Getting married to Overpairs. My new basic plan: When i have an overpair, Bet the flop (perhaps not on really scary boards) If called SLOW DOWN. I have not been re-evaluating the situation and just blindly betting big again. Check the callers, and their STACK SIZE. staying in the tournie should often be my NO 1. priority.

2. Realizing other player has a better hand and ignoreing it. Raises mean more in NL than they do in limit. Min size raises often mean a strong hand.

3. Pushing in with cards that dont warrent it. 9T is not a good heads up hand, wait for bigger hands.

4. Not getting paid off with big hands, flopped sets especially.
A. In a large Field
i. With two flush or good looking str8 possibilities- bet pot or just over- mos t flush or oenenders will call here.
ii. non-coordinated board with top set it is unlikely that no one will have top pair- give them a chance to catch a second best hand- dont fear checking it through on the turn unless a four flush comes up.
iii. with Middle/bottom set and an A or K high flop non-coordinated, bet 1/3-1/2 pot on flop/turn/ river- will get paid off by top/pair weak kicker, and get raised by top pair good kicker. Try to tie them to the pot.

B. In a small Field
i. with no draws- let it get checked through much the same way with a big field and no draws. If a draw hits the turn bet almost the pot, it will look like an attempt to buy the pot. If the others have nothing they arent going to pay you off anyway so take it down then.
ii. With a draw heavy board and a small field bet the pot and be satisfied to take down a small pot. take note of callers.

5. In MTT go after smaller stacks. Pick on them.

6. When my stack gets cut into early listen to the Guide and DONT PANIC. dont write off the tourney, use good hand selection and remember that big stacks are more likely to call, dont challenge them without the goods, but pick on medium and other small stacks that you can make a dent in.

7. pay more attention to other players and take better notes.

8. pay more attention to other players and take better notes.

9. pay more attention to other players and take better notes.

mackthefork
05-23-2004, 08:23 AM
Number 5 is very important imo even in single table tourneys, nothing annoys me more than a large stack with 67o pushing my ATo out of the pot only to double up the crippled stack.

Regards ML

DrPhysic
05-23-2004, 10:03 AM
Tolbiny,

An excellent list which will apply to more people that just me. I have a paper that hangs on the clip by my monitor with my current list of do's and don'ts. The top two items are

Do NOT fall in love with AA or KK!

Do not bet when I know I'm beat. (No matter how good my hand is!)

Your top two items are identical to mine. Here are some others that are on my list:

Be wary of pair or 3 flush on board.

Make more half-pot and pot size bets, less wimpys and limpers.

MAKE all-in bet, Do not CALL all-in bet (Without NUTS).

Be aware of stack sizes.

PATIENCE!

and a tenative one that I am just toying with:

Check call flop, check raise turn. (still evaluating situations where applicable)

There may be one or two here that will help your list. Thanks for post. Critical thinking is necessary to getting better for all of us.

Doc /images/graemlins/cool.gif