PDA

View Full Version : Moneymaker Question

revoohc
05-22-2004, 09:10 PM
Why does it seem that almost everyone "hates" Chris Moneymaker?

Just curious if his play last years was bad and he was very lucky, or if most people are just jealous of him?

It seems people are a little to happy to see him out early this year.

PokerFox
05-22-2004, 09:11 PM
all jealous, don't let anyone fool you.

doggin
05-22-2004, 11:59 PM
Hell yes he's a player. You have to win a bunch of 50/50
races to get to the final table maybe even a couple of
10 percenters.
Chris just had a second place finish at a major event out
in California earlier this year. It paid him around 300K plus.
About everyone who meets him says he's a super nice guy too. He does'nt have the big head from winning the big one.
And too, don't forget how he got to the WSOP in 2003; he
won a $40.00 multi to get in the qualifier, a feat in itself, then he wins (or places WAY up there) the qualifier.
If you don't think this is tough, try it.
He just went out in the WSOP with nines full of kings, lost
to kings full of nines, and Chris went in with the best of
it, with A 9, flop 99K, a caller with a K rag sucked out on him. Bummer................

Freudian
05-23-2004, 03:52 AM
He put his money in while being the big favourite and lost two hands in a row (assuming he didn't go all-in preflop with A9o). I don't think you can ever call that poor poker during day one of the tournament.

But I guess the guy can't be that upset after last year. Sometimes you get the cards you need, sometimes you won't. He seems like a balanced guy so I expect him to take it in stride.

NoTalent
05-23-2004, 04:05 AM
I don't get it either. Has he been an [censored] to people in public for him to get a bad rep? You only see him play the final table (a very abbreviated version I'm sure) on the WSOP on TV--and I'm assuming those few hands you did see lets people think he can't play cards? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Freudian
05-23-2004, 04:16 AM
I think there is a bit of envy among internet players. This guy was 'one of us' that won the biggest poker tournament ever (perhaps with a wee bit of "that could/should have been me"). Also, with the hands known to the viewers it is very easy to mock those that make a mistake.

bigfishead
05-23-2004, 10:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He put his money in while being the big favourite and lost two hands in a row (assuming he didn't go all-in preflop with A9o). I don't think you can ever call that poor poker during day one of the tournament.

But I guess the guy can't be that upset after last year. Sometimes you get the cards you need, sometimes you won't. He seems like a balanced guy so I expect him to take it in stride.

[/ QUOTE ]

He is a nice guy. That I can tell you, tho my time around him is limited, and also only in the poker room. But when he jumps in the local 20-40 game(which I dont have the BR for) I jump in!

Also, unless he got a free ride to see the flop in the BB, there is no reason to see the flop in the early stages full table with A9o. In ANY position. And furthermore, if he plays it with FPS(fancy play syndrome) and checks the flop expecting to get the chips in on the turn with a trap.....well....now is it a bad call on the turn? Or...he fires heavy at the flop, and the KQ(I think that was the other hand if I recall) guy puts him on a "K" worse kicker which is not unexpected, and calls him fully expecting that with KQ there are only 2 hands that would beat him that would have called a bet pre-flop, namely AA, AK, and that possibly the action preflop indicates otherwise, the KQ player believes he has way the best of it.

I can see the above scenarios being played out easily. Moneymaker took a terrible hand at the worst time (any ace will do!!) and got the kind of flop that busts ya.

oh well....thats poker.