PDA

View Full Version : Abort the Limp-reraise?

sthief09
05-22-2004, 07:53 PM
Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
Hero calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP3 calls, BB calls.

I definitely give my hand away too much by capping. I gain 2 SB, but I lose a lot postflop. Should I have called, then popped the turn?

Flop: (12.40 SB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, BB folds.

Turn: (7.20 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 folds.

Final Pot: 8.20 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 7.20 BB, won by Hero.</font>
<font color="#990066">Pot 2: 1 BB, overbet by Hero.</font>

BottlesOf
05-22-2004, 07:56 PM
I disagree about tipping your hand too much. Players on party will some times re-raise after limping with all inds of crap. THey figure, "I limped, there's a raise or 2, I don't wanna fold, I've got pretty cards, let's just cap it."

Although, if you feel that you had alread established a tight image then maybe you are right.

Alobar
05-22-2004, 07:57 PM
I think I just call pre flop. You give away your hand and you don't get much for it. If there were alot more people I would go for it, because of the amount you would get in the pot. Also you act immediatly after the BB so if you just call chances are he bets out the flop and if its something you dont like you can raise to cut down the odds on the people who act behind

Alobar
05-22-2004, 07:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I disagree about tipping your hand too much. Players on party will some times re-raise after limping with all inds of crap. THey figure, "I limped, there's a raise or 2, I don't wanna fold, I've got pretty cards, let's just cap it."

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll agree with that, I never give a LRR by a fish any credit, but its 5/10 so people are paying more attention so I really think that a cap from theif comes off for exactly what it is, AA or KK not just some schmuck who hits the cap button cuz he's gotta call 2 anyway

adanthar
05-22-2004, 08:29 PM
I don't think I've ever limp/reraised a hand, though I may have to start at 5/10 once in a while.

Why paint a bullseye on your back, whether you have kings, fives, or JTs? In most situations, you won't know whether you want or don't want to be called when you bet/raise until the flop comes down, and this move from a tight player basically says 'don't call me unless you can beat a big pair, but be sure to checkraise me on the river if you can'. Meh.

sthief09
05-22-2004, 08:38 PM
the only thing I didn't like about this is that I sat for almost 3 hours before this hand and I open-limped a grand total of 0 times because the tables were so tight. I agree that there are a lot of idiots though, so they could try and play back at me.

sthief09
05-22-2004, 08:44 PM
and this move from a tight player basically says 'don't call me unless you can beat a big pair, but be sure to checkraise me on the river if you can'.

well the limp-reraise generally works best in a bigger pot. you tip your hand, but you gain an extra SB from everyone. when it's headsup, I generally would rather wait until the turn to raise. 3-handed is a bit of a gray area, because you only gain 1 extra BB by raising.

Chris Daddy Cool
05-22-2004, 09:53 PM
If there were more players in the pot, theres no question you should cap because you have such a huge preflop edge/pot equity.

With a limited field, you may give up some of your preflop equity and just call to make more postflop, which you can play accordingly. But you already thought that, since you posted this right?

ddubois
05-22-2004, 11:02 PM
When I posted a month ago about limp-reraising premium pairs, you told me it doesn't matter, and to worry about something more important.