PDA

View Full Version : Party 15/30: flopped set, too straightforward?

Nate tha' Great
05-22-2004, 06:20 PM
Game is loose and more passive than usual: perfect conditions for playing a little pair up front. However, I've been playing pretty tight and haven't shown down many losers, so my table image should be strong if anyone's paying attention.

I don't have a real good read on MP2.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Nate is MP1 with 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, Nate calls, MP2 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: (4.66 SB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Nate bets</font>, MP2 calls, BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (3.83 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Nate bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">Nate 3-bets</font>, MP2 folds.

Final Pot: 8.83 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 7.83 BB, won by Nate.</font>
<font color="#990066">Pot 2: 1 BB, overbet by Nate.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
No showdown. Nate wins 8.83 BB. </font>

rigoletto
05-22-2004, 06:26 PM
No. I like to play big hands at Party 15/30 like this because you are very likely to be raised somewhere!

<font color="white">Within 20 min. from now somebody will tell you to fold 44 in EP at Party 15/30. </font>
__________________________________________________ __________________________________

astroglide
05-22-2004, 08:01 PM
i think your preflop overlimp is fine. i don't mind being aggressively isolated, but those that do should note that the presence of another limper signifigantly lowers the odds of it occuring.

as for the play of the hand, i would have likely checked the flop here, going for a turn checkraise (especially if you describe the game as passive).

SinCityGuy
05-22-2004, 09:24 PM
I would have played it the same way.

Most players would wait until the turn to checkraise, but they frequently win smaller pots. Betting out on the flop gets more money into the pot, especially with these loose callers.

The WET BEAVER
05-22-2004, 09:56 PM
You played it fine. There was only one player behind you, so you'd probably get more money by betting on the flop. If you wait for the turn and your opponent checks behind you, then you've lost a great deal. This is also a situation where the amount you lose from a failed turn checkraise attempt can outweigh the possible gain.

Many times straightforward plays get the money. And since most players slowplay sets, your "straightforward" play may actually throw them off.

Paul Talbot
05-22-2004, 10:52 PM
I haven't read the other replies...

I like the three bet because you'll get any flush draw to come with you plus you'll get KJ and KT to come with you as well as they hope they have 7 outs.

If they were making a pure bluff you might get one more bet on the river, but I think you get guys who pay you off more often in a loose, passive game.

Regards,

Paul

Senor Choppy
05-23-2004, 04:27 AM
This is a perfect flop for betting. You shouldn't scare away the field necessarily if no one has top pair, you have to worry a bit about a free card, and you don't necessarily have top pair yourself if you bet.

If the board is Q53 instead, then a check might be in order, but you can miss out on A LOT of bets by checking here, checking again on the turn, watching it get checked across, etc.