PDA

View Full Version : Did I make a huge mistake by not folding PF here???

Gomez22
05-22-2004, 05:51 PM
Party $10+$1 SNG table... 4 players left, I have ~T950 in chips and am short stack at the table. Blinds are 50/100. Villain in this hand is chip leader with ~T3000 in chips, and also in the big blind.

I'm button with A /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif

UTG folds, I raise it to 300, SB folds, BB(Villain) re-raises to 600..... I push, villain callls.....

FLOP: 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

TURN: 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

RIVER: K /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Villain shows pocket 10's for the takedown. I guess I couldn't ask for a better board until the damn river, but I just wonder about my push.... I was thinking I was in that borderline area where I had just shy of 10 times the BB(I think the blinds were due to increase in about 3-5 more hands), PLUS, I was on the bubble, but could have easily been blinded out to the bigger stacks...

Thoughts?

adanthar
05-22-2004, 07:40 PM
Once he raises you, you're essentially playing for all your chips if you call. Thing is, the pot is 900 chips, and you pushing adds 300 more, so you're getting a bit over 2:1 (counting the SB) on your call/push.

If he shows you pocket tens, kings, or anything other than a bigger ace, you're just about getting the right odds to call. Add in your short stack and the fact that you're losing another 100 after the hand ends, and mathematically, it becomes a push.

However, this is an incomplete answer because we don't know the sizes of the other stacks and, more importantly, how likely they are to let you steal. If folding lets you survive another few hands, *and* going all in on your 500-600 leftover chips might let you steal a few blinds, it's marginally debatable.

Frankly, however, I push here every time and my win record over just over 100 NL 33 SNG's (despite me sucking at actually playing them) is something like 15-10-13. The only part of my NL game that's any good is shorthanded; therefore, I'll gladly take a coin flip on the pot odds to get a stack that can play with the others.

If you're better at surviving on the bubble, folding is probably at least debatable. It's thin either way, though.

VarlosZ
05-22-2004, 08:24 PM
I'd open raise all-in. You don't have a big enough stack to dick around after the flop if miss (or hit your seven), and you want to get the maximum profit if you hit, and you want to give yourself the best chance to steal the blinds.

You'll get a lot of loose calls at those $10 tables -- take advantage.