PDA

View Full Version : Too aggressive on the flop?

bvaughn
05-22-2004, 03:45 PM
My main question is regarding my flop raise. I had a tight image at this table so far as I had only voluntarily bet one time since I had sat down (about 15 hands). My thought process was - with as much calling as usually happens in these games, I figured any draw would chase, and any J would see the river, and maybe any ace as well. With the result, I am thinking maybe I should've waited until the turn to raise or check-raise.

Another thing, is it a standard play in these games to raise from the BB with a medium pair, to increase the odds of opponents chasing if you hit your set?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, MP calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds.

Final Pot: 5.50 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 4.50 BB, won by Hero.</font>
<font color="#990066">Pot 2: 1 BB, overbet by Hero.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
No showdown. Hero wins 5.50 BB. </font>

fyodor
05-22-2004, 04:43 PM
With this many limpers, raising 77 has to be a bad idea. There are just too many players and too few ways for you to improve.

Raising the flop is not such a bad idea with this flop. Any 9 or 10 could be big trouble. If it was heads up or just 2 opponents then I might wait for the turn to make a move.

I would be happy just to take this pot down as quick as possible.

You can't win a monster everytime.

naphand
05-22-2004, 04:49 PM
No. The flop missed everyone, and the Turn was a blank.

With a flop like that you might reasonably expect someone to catch something, esp. some kind of draw. You were unlucky, but don't think you need to slowplay boards like this. Charge people to draw against you, if they have nothing, well that's how it goes. I think giving a free card here is not a good idea, when you are out of position and the board is co-ordinated.