PDA

View Full Version : Golden Nugget 20/40 QQ hand

SinCityGuy
05-22-2004, 03:25 PM
Thursday afternoon, I was in a 20/40 game at the Golden Nugget. A couple of bad players have busted out, and we're currently 8-handed. The game is not very good at this point.

A solid player open raises UTG. Folded to me in the CO, and I make it three bets with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif. Everyone else folds and he calls.

Flop: J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/heart.gif 5/images/graemlins/club.gif

He checks, I bet, he calls.

Turn: K/images/graemlins/club.gif

He checks.

Your move. Check behind or bet?

rigoletto
05-22-2004, 03:43 PM
You check and call his river bet because you'd have to call a checkraise.

risen
05-22-2004, 04:14 PM
He can't see your hand, represent AK, fire one out on the turn and see what happens. You'll take it down right there, alot. Don't let him see the river for free.

rigoletto
05-22-2004, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He can't see your hand, represent AK, fire one out on the turn and see what happens. You'll take it down right there, alot. Don't let him see the river for free.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you will. But how often will you fold a better hand!

risen
05-22-2004, 04:41 PM
You're not going to fold Kx or AA, but a 2pr hand should feel too vulnerable to chance a whiffed checkraise, and you should be able to squeeze a bet out of someone holding the J or T, and get those lone aces out of there. Winning the hand on the turn isn't such a crime here.

j.k.
05-22-2004, 04:47 PM
Check behind. The King may very well be a scare card for him too. If he has AJ,A10, 99 etc he may fold the turn and you miss a bet from him. If he has AK, AQ, KQ, JJ etc you save yourself two bets if you call him down. I think the hands you are ahead of are drawing slim enough that a free card won't be disastrous.

j.k.

risen
05-22-2004, 04:51 PM
Oops, just realized you picked up an OESD, Aces rule, check that bad boy. If he hits you'll get pizzaid.

j.k.
05-22-2004, 04:59 PM
"...and get those lone aces out of there."

I don't want those lone aces out of there with QQ on a
K J 10 board, let alone ones that already have a pair on board with their kicker (except AK of course /images/graemlins/wink.gif)

"...you should be able to squeeze a bet out of someone holding the J or T"

Sin described him as a solid player and I don't think a solid player will call the turn with a lone J or 10 against a preflop 3 bet from another solid player after the K falls. Unless Sin is very tricky and this other guy knows it, I think he's folding most hands that are beat, but calling or checkraising hands that aren't.

SinCityGuy
05-23-2004, 06:32 PM
I checked behind on the turn. There is little danger in giving a free card here. The only overcard is an ace, which gives me the nut straight. If he's ahead, I've got eight outs and I avoid being checkraised by a better hand.

The river was the 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif

He checked, I bet, he called. He mucked and my hand was good.

mikelow
05-23-2004, 07:21 PM
Check behind and hope you make your hand. Note that a queen isn't a clean out.