PDA

View Full Version : Lucy Jones strategy observations

MicroBob
05-22-2004, 11:55 AM
not sure if it's very possible to crack the top-20 on the 3/6 tables. even if i go straight through without a break i cant seem to climb above 23rd or so.
maybe if my tables would stop breaking up so much or if my opponents would get on the ball a bit.

i checked out the guy that was running in 20th for much of the bonanza yesterday and he was playing 4 tables of $25-NL...2 of them 6-max. wasn't aware that you could get enough raked hands that quickly on the $25-NL. also thought that the extra time on all-in decisions might have an effect also.

not that big a deal of course....i've been running extremely well lately so winning $40 or winning $80 is fairly inconsequential (just another regular size pot i guess)....i was just curious what the best strategies on cracking the top 20 were so i saw what some of the other players were playing.

devious strategy for collusion-type crowd - you could get on your empire account and get on one of the tables of a guy in 20th place and really slow the table down (just fail to post the blinds each time or something like that).
when i was watching the $25-NL guy there was an empty-seat on the table i was observing and this thought crossed my mind....but, of course, i didn't act on it (i was too far behind anyway, i would have just been helping someone else...lol).

daryn
05-22-2004, 12:34 PM
seems like a lot of work for $80 max! don't buy into party's marketing scheme!

ctv1116
05-22-2004, 12:52 PM
I've gotten the $80 twice. On Wednesday, I actually was 1st place, playing four 1/2 6-max tables (my usual game) for 9 hours straight. Eating lunch at the desk, 15 second bathroom breaks, didn't miss a beat. Thursday I cut back, actually taking 15 minute breaks every few hours. I estimate I *only* played 8 of the 9 possible hours of four-tabling 1/2 6-max, and got 17th.

So to answer your question, you almost certianly have to play short-handed tables to crack top 20.

Lori
05-22-2004, 12:55 PM
wasn't aware that you could get enough raked hands that quickly on the $25-NL.

25NL is the fastest holdem game on Party to accumulate raked hands.

It is the only site where bonuses are done quicker at NL than limit I believe.

Edit: This is because over 85% of hands are raked.
Edit2: Cant speak for the SH, but from what I hear they are even more crazy than the 25NL full.

I won $80 playing 3 full tables of 25NL a few months ago

Lori

goodguy_1
05-22-2004, 01:04 PM
also if it burns you out for even a day it may end up costing you money chasing these things if you play regularly.

0.25/0.50 NLHE 6MAX's average 72.93 hph

0.50/1.00 NLHE 6MAX's average 74.85 hph

$1-2 and $2-4 NLHE 6MAX (I only have a small sample of these from PT)86.95 hph

$1-2 LHE 6MAX's average 77.46 hph

$5-10 LHE(also small sample) 90.00 hph

this is what you are up against

MicroBob
05-22-2004, 01:26 PM
agreed about the burn-out factor....i doubt i would go for this on back to back days. but every other day isn't so bad...watching some sports on TV and hopefully winning a few BB's along with the bonus.

i just use the bonanza thing more for fun and modest-incentive to get my hours in then anything else.

it was kind of funny yesterday.....i was up 150BB's on 3/6....but i was hanging in there to the bitter end to get my freaking $40. which was really more like just an extra $20.
i had already pretty much sealed top 160 for $20, i just had to finish it off to ensure $20 more on top of that.

wasn't aware that a 1st place finish could be done on the 1/2 limit 6-max.

also, i don't really feel i'm falling too much into party's 'marketing ploy'. i look at it as kind of the same as a long bonus to clear.
i get almost 2000 hands in my 9 hours there....lets assume 1800 of them are raked perhaps. so this is like getting a $20 or $40 or $80 bonus for playing 1800 raked-hands.
obviously, a lot of us get the $100 for 1k raked hands....so i don't see how this is so terribly different.
i crank out my 9-hours and get just a little bit extra playing the hands on party then i would playing them elsewhere.

i enjoy the bonanza thing actually....but again, i certainly wouldn't want to do it every day...especially on a weekend with beautiful weather outside.

Lori
05-22-2004, 01:28 PM
I usually do LJ if I can clear another bonus simultaneously.

Lori

ctv1116
05-22-2004, 02:22 PM
I agree...burnout happens. At the end of the 9 hour session, I was making huge errors, like folding AA to a 347r flop because I was half-dead. Its definitely not worth it to play 9 hours straight to get an $80 bonus. But spllitting the 9 hours into four 2 hour sessions with three 20 minute breaks, and it shouldn't be a problem.

Tosh
05-22-2004, 02:28 PM
This bonus is far more effort than its worth IMO.