PDA

View Full Version : KK with the big stack

PrayingMantis
05-22-2004, 09:10 AM
5 left in a 27$ turbo. blinds are 100/200 ante 25, soon to become 200/400.

I'm first with 5300. Other stacks are 3200, 2200, 1500, 1400.

I'm UTG+1 with KK. UTG (3200) raises to 450. He's a pretty solid player. Other players don't seem to play so well.

I re-raise to 700. All fold. UTG reraises to 1400. I push. He calls with AA. I lose and am left with ~2100, and bust a few hands later.

After his reraise, I felt AA is a possible holding. Was calling and taking a flop, instead of pushing, a better play? Suppose we see a flop then, could I fold to an all-in bet, even if an ace doesn't hit? Am I too results-oriented?

My main concern is that I feel I was going for one of the first two places, with a big chance for first. And after this hand, I was in a very bad shape, that costed me a money finish, with the huge blinds coming.

Any thoughts? Or is it simply a KK vs. AA "bad beat"?

Ian J
05-22-2004, 10:53 AM
The next time I fold KK before the flop or on an Aceless flop 5 handed in a sng will be the first. I would double him up here every time, and be smiling as I pushed pre-flop.

One concern that wouldn't change the results of this hand. When I play a pot with the other big stack late in a sng, it's not time to be fooling around and trapping w/ mini re-raises. Just go ahead and make it about 1200 to go before the flop and play from there.