PDA

View Full Version : [Deep Exhale], Can you really defend against a set when shortstacked?

coltrane
05-22-2004, 04:13 AM
Live NL game - blinds are 5 and 5

The table is kind of weird. Fairly loose/weak playing going on (raising the minimum, raising with ATo, but then a lot of calling minimum raises pre-flop with trash, betting weak into big pots, etc.). My table image is tight - I've played very few hands. Problem is that my stack is very small - I bought in for $500 and now I'm down to about $375 or so (everyone has me covered).
I pick up queens in early position. UTG opens for $35 (a normal pre-flop raise has not been more than this). I re-raise and make it $70 to go. I do this because I want to isolate this guy - I think he's got some kind of ace. But now, a middle position cold-calls me and both blinds cold-call me and the original raiser calls me! This really irked me - not because I thought they had great hands, but quite the opposite. Whenever someone had been raising before the flop (even though the max had been $35 or less), people were just ignoring it and calling - with trash. But I figured based on my image and the fact that I made it $70 to go, more people would fold. Also, based on the callers (who had been raising with ATo and re-raising with JJ), I truly believed that no one had aces or kings because with 5 callers in the pot, they would definitely have re-raised again to isolate more. I put the original raiser on an ace, and the other callers on either pocket pairs smaller than mine or things like a decent ace or face cards (JTs, KQs).
The flop comes 334 rainbow. UTG checks. Now, it's on me and here's the problem. I actually like the flop because I think my queens are still the best hand. I don't think anyone has a three in their hand (even these guys aren't that stupid) unless they have pocket 3's. I think the only real possible hand out there right now that beats me is pocket 4's. But now, there's $350 in the pot. If I check, I have a bad feeling that everyone checks and gets a free card (which could easily be an Ace or a King or another card giving someone a set). So I decide to bet the pot, but at this point that puts me all-in. So I go all-in and the middle position guy raises and everyone else folds. He turns over 44. I obviously knew as soon as someone called me that I was beat.
What could I have done in this situation? I re-raised a large amount before the flop. I think it was a terrible call by middle position to cold-call $70 on my raise with 44. With my table image, he can't put me on anything less than a big pair. And with that amount that I raised to, he can't imagine anyone else is going to cold-call behind him. Heck, the original raiser might've folded. And with the fact that I had such a short stack, he really didn't have the implied odds to play for a set. Anyway, needless to say, I'm not happy about the outcome. I realize that queens are not the holy grail of hands, but in this case it wouldn't have mattered if I had aces. I thought my reads were right and my play was right. Does anyone disagree? I'd love to hear opinions. Of course, one thing I can think of is the fact that maybe it's just stupid to play at a NL table with a short-stack like that and I shouldn't have done it in the first place.

-Sunny

gavrilo
05-22-2004, 06:44 AM
First off, please space out your sentences or use paragraphs in the future. I don't mind as much, but many on this board will open and close instantly when they see huge chunk of text fyi.

Your play isn't bad, I woulda done the same thing with the descriptions you gave, ie no one likely to hold a three here unless it's pocket threes.

He got lucky, it happens.

coltrane
05-22-2004, 11:30 AM
yeah, I actually tried to make it look in paragraph form, but it didn't come out looking like that.....I tried to edit it but it said I was past the maximum edit time....the only thing I can think of pertaining to my hand is that someone might've had Kings....if they put me on aces, they might not've re-raised before the flop.......but then again, with the table description I gave, I gotta think once it got to be 5-handed, anyone with aces or kings is isolating....

bugstud
05-22-2004, 12:16 PM
Since when is doubling the open making a substantial raise? Honestly, given how short you were, raising much more than 70 may make an allin raise a lot better...

gavrilo
05-22-2004, 02:12 PM
Wow, I missed that.. yes I would raise more preflop.

coltrane
05-22-2004, 02:27 PM
very good point.....here's another good reply I got, and my response:

"Bill Reich" <willreich_77@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Some people think small blind NL games are silly but I play 5/5 blind NL
all the time. I think playing a relatively short stack is easier but not
as potentially profitable.

Having only $350 in front of you isn't TERRIBLY short stacked, given the
blinds, but you were the smallest stack at the table and there isn't much
room between the original raise and a large fraction of your stack.

I don't think doubling the previous player's bet is a "large raise." I
think
making it one hundred smooth is more likely to simplify the hand by
getting
the oddball hands out. One-fifty even more so. It is possible that the guy
with the magnum (.44) is just there to gamble and it won't matter.

If I make a raise to around $150 and get a serious re-raise, I might lay
it down. I don't think someone is doing that with Jacks and I think I
might
guess right if he or she is moving on me. If I get called and there is no
Ace or King in the flop, I am putting the rest of my stack in there, just
as you did.
-Will in New Haven

I responded:

Will,

yeah, it's strange, the $500 I bought in for is 100x the BB, but yet I was
by far the smallest stack all night....I guess maybe because this game is
the only one in town, etc......earlier in the night there was someone at the
table with like 4 grand and he's making it $50 and $100 to go with almost
any playable hand......these conditions made it extremely hard for me to
play any kind of drawing hand (connectors, Ax suited, small pairs, etc.) -
which I normally like to play....that's part of the reason why I said it was
probably stupid for me to be at the table in the first place....it's not all
that fun having to play SO tight.....but anyway, my thinking was to treat it
like being shortstacked in a tournament - wait for a big hand and be
aggressive....I think you're right Will that in my early position I
should've made a larger raise ($100-150) and then if someone pops me back, I
lay it down no problem.....and then if the flop comes undercards, I'm
pushing.....it might not have made a difference if people were there to
gamble, but I probably would've felt slightly better about the hand if I had
made it $150 to go.....the only other thing I keep thinking I might've
screwed up on is that it's possible someone else had kings.....if they put
me on aces, they might not've re-raised with kings.....but then again, with
the table description I gave, I feel like once it got to be 5-handed before
the flop, anyone with aces or kings is gonna isolate more.....thanks for the