PDA

View Full Version : Two Rivers I Bet Out

Keats13
05-21-2004, 09:26 PM
Back to back hands from the same table. In each case, just about the worst card I could imagine dropped on the river, and yet I still bet out. Are these good value bets, or should I be checking and trying to induce a bluff?

First few orbits, developing reads. I know that BB and CO in hand 1 call way too much pre-flop.

Hand 1
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Keats13 is UTG with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="CC3333">Keats13 raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (6.33 SB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Keats13 bets</font>, CO calls, BB calls.

Turn: (4.66 BB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Keats13 bets</font>, CO calls, BB calls.

River: (7.66 BB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Keats13 bets</font>...

Hand 2 SB and MP3 are BB and CO from previous hand. No info on MP2 yet.
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Keats13 is BB with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, Keats13 calls.

I was torn here between calling to close and 3-betting. I probably should have 3-bet to get some info about UTG's hand and to get more money in from the cold-callers. But I decided to call and bet a favorable flop into the PFR instead. Feel free to let me know if this was horrible, as well.

Flop: (10 SB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Keats13 bets</font>, UTG folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, SB calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Keats13 bets</font>, MP2 calls, SB folds.

River: (8.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Keats13 bets</font>...

JohnShaft
05-21-2004, 09:41 PM
Hand 1. I think you're beaten on the River. What worse hand is going to call? Really?
I think I would check this one for sure, and just pray for a cheap showdown against a better hand than I've got. With a bet and a call I'd just fold the river.

Hand 2. UTG Raiser got 3 cold callers, and this is Party 3/6. I'm 3-betting and hoping to flop the overpair, and that I don't sadly run into AA/KK. But the point is if you 3-bet UTG will probably tip off AA/KK (or at least AK) with a cap.
You should both want 4 bets in Preflop. Him assuming he even has AK, and you hoping he doesn't have the overpair. You've simply got too many callers with likely trash not to want more money in PF imo.
And I don't think you're necessarily picking up the advantage of manipulating people out of the pot on your flop. You can't assume PF will Raise, and lately I've seen people call a raggy flop with an AK with people to act behind them a lot. (Look at how he laid down to just a plain flop bet).
Get the money in while you're getting 4-1 and you still look good. Get some information on UTG's holding by 3-betting.

River? Toughie. In spots similar, but disimilar, to this I usually bet.
But given that a Jack will raise you for sure, and the flush draw might bluff, I don't know. It's pretty close.
Maybe check. [shrugs] If I knew my opponent was bad and would call a River with Ace high I'm sure I'd bet though.