View Full Version : Who here is man enough to raise this river?

Ralph Wiggum
05-21-2004, 05:41 PM
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 caps</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls, Button calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (22.50 SB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button folds, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (18.25 BB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls.
What I feared to be an AAvKK match, btwn UTG+2 &amp; I, has become a KKvQQ one (well, at least I thought so).

River: (24.25 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, I didn't put UTG on a hand (well actually T9s came into my head initially), but I couldn't believe he dared to bet into the both of us. This freaked me out, and after comtemplating it for a few seconds, I decided to just call. Right or wrong? Hero calls.

Final Pot: 27.25 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 27.25 BB, between UTG+2, Hero and UTG.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (27.25 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG shows Qc Qh (one pair, queens).
UTG+2 shows Jh Js (one pair, jacks).
Hero shows Kc Ks (one pair, kings).
Outcome: Hero wins 27.25 BB. </font>

scotnt73
05-21-2004, 05:47 PM
id have done the same as you did. before reading the results i had him on a wierd straight. id then immediatly put a note on the fish.

Peter Harris
05-21-2004, 05:48 PM
i would raise this river every time after being called down on the turn.

Pete

namknils
05-21-2004, 05:49 PM
Not me. I'm surprised he waited that long to wake up. I like the way you played it.

cardcounter0
05-21-2004, 05:52 PM
Not I.

Too much going on, UTG wakes up and bets instead of checks when a possible straight card hit the river.

You could have been going up dead against a flopped two pair or trips from UTG. (Did the capped pre-flop mean pocket pairs to you, or you could have maniacs coming in with anything)

And either could have pocket rockets also.

DoctorDrew
05-21-2004, 05:55 PM
While my gut says raise, I would probably just call as well. UTG+2 keeps betting at you. He had a big hand PF/Flop. Your constant raising may have scared his AA to just betting and calling a raise fearing you hit a set TT on the flop.

Although--I can't see UTG hanging around with a draw with all this action going on. I don't see T9s liking this flop action b/c he can't have the 2 hearts. If he stuck with J8 he's a moron. I'd still be more worried about UTG+2.

I'd like to see what some good poker players say, though.

Ralph Wiggum
05-21-2004, 06:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You could have been going up dead against a flopped two pair or trips from UTG. (Did the capped pre-flop mean pocket pairs to you, or you could have maniacs coming in with anything)

[/ QUOTE ]
T9s on the river is what popped into my head initially, but I don't think that's how anyone would play a flopped 2pair or a set. Capped PF meant a good hand, PP or not. They weren't maniacs, just bad players.

[ QUOTE ]
And either could have pocket rockets also.

[/ QUOTE ] They could, but no, I don't think so. Not after the turn.

bakku
05-21-2004, 06:38 PM
This is one of those weird river bets that make no sense to me and scream out "I have crap please raise me!" but freak me out too much for me to raise. I like calling like you did.

Ralph Wiggum
05-21-2004, 06:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is one of those weird river bets that make no sense to me and scream out "I have crap please raise me!" but freak me out too much for me to raise.

[/ QUOTE ] My sentiments exactly.