PDA

View Full Version : I Hate Poker Players

Lebronomania
05-21-2004, 03:44 PM
I play poker for a living, and have met some great people doing it. However, I've met even more people who are just nasty and brutish. Maybe its not that the people who play the game are inherently a-holes, but that the game makes 'em act like so. I'm convinced that poker brings out the worst in people, including myself. Its rare that I ever say an unkind word to another, yet when I'm playing, I can become impatient, intolerant, and mean.

Just reading the posts on this forum, everytime someone even suggests that internet poker might not be on the up and up, posters react like their mothers had been accused of being prostitutes. When someone posts 'bout a bad losing streak, the reaction is almost invevitably "you suck".

I worry everyday that this internet poker boom will soon fade and that I'll then have to get a real job again. My only consolation is that all this a-holery (new word) will come to an end, at least in the context of online poker.

P.S. GrannyMae...STFU (pre-emptive)

JTG51
05-21-2004, 03:52 PM
Interesting. I've met and gotten to know about a dozen 2+2ers. Every one of them has been kind, generous, polite, funny, and a pleasure to spend time with.

Maybe it's you, not poker that brings out the worst in people?

Patrick del Poker Grande
05-21-2004, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I play poker for a living, and have met some great people doing it. However, I've met even more people who are just nasty and brutish. Maybe its not that the people who play the game are inherently a-holes, but that the game makes 'em act like so. I'm convinced that poker brings out the worst in people, including myself. Its rare that I ever say an unkind word to another, yet when I'm playing, I can become impatient, intolerant, and mean.

Just reading the posts on this forum, everytime someone even suggests that internet poker might not be on the up and up, posters react like their mothers had been accused of being prostitutes. When someone posts 'bout a bad losing streak, the reaction is almost invevitably "you suck".

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not the poker so much as it's the internet in general that does this. It happens on every sizeable messageboard on the net.

Sponger15SB
05-21-2004, 04:03 PM
after lurking in all of the 2+2 forums for a while, i'd have to say there are a huge ammount of assholes who post here. that doesn't mean they are assholes in person though, its easy for most people to sit around and talk [censored] on a message board

Alobar
05-21-2004, 04:05 PM
I'll agree with you to a point. Poker is full of alot of egos, for some reason EVERYONE thinks they are good at poker, and they want to show others how good they are (read table coaches and other aholes). I think for the most part tho, the people of 2+2 (at least the regular posters) don't suffer from this affliction because they realize that no matter what level they play at, their game could be better and thats why they are here posting and reading, to work on their game. I think the reason the internet is rigged posts get so much flack from regulars is because we make our living playing this game and the last thing we need is people thinking its rigged, so when someone with 3 posts to their name gets on and says how poker is rigged, he hears it from those of us who know better. But in any group there are Aholes, just like there are Aholes on 2+2, but I think for the most part the people here are great, and prolly most of the people online arn't bad, they just keep quiet so you only notice the people with the annoying little fevered egos

fnurt
05-21-2004, 04:09 PM
I think gambling is an activity that can bring out the worst in people, even good people, and the same is true of the Internet.

Inthacup
05-21-2004, 04:26 PM
I think gambling is an activity that can bring out the worst in people

So do most forms of competition.

Duke
05-21-2004, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just reading the posts on this forum, everytime someone even suggests that internet poker might not be on the up and up, posters react like their mothers had been accused of being prostitutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

My mother is a prostitute, you insensitive clod.

Ok, enough /. for me for one day.

~D

MicroBob
05-21-2004, 04:34 PM
a few comments.

in general, i agree with lebronomania's comments.
there is an awful lot of rudeness in poker...both live and on the internet.
most dealers know that dealing poker can be tougher than dealing BJ because of the rudeness factor of the players.

one of the more recent times i played B&M poker i won a hand with AA and the lady who called me down all the way threw her cards rather nastily at the dealer while saying what i assume are some obscenities in what i think was a foreign language. not really sure what the dealer (or me either for that matter) did to deserve that kind of hostility.

i also agree with fnurt that gambling AND the internet can generally bring out the worst in people.

not sure a granny STFU was necessary though. granny herself recently posted her ideas of how and why the internet-game will be drying up big-time in the months to come so she certainly would have agreed with you on that issue i suspect.

i also wanted to take this opportunity to comment on the quality of lebronomania's posts the past couple of weeks.
i haven't read all of them of course....but i do remember the thread of a few months ago that generated a fair share of hostility (i was in that group as well).
lebronomania has returned to the Zoo and has offered up some quality posts in that time imo.

CrackerZack
05-21-2004, 04:51 PM
Your return has ruined our thursday night slot of "Where are they now: 2+2".

kdog
05-21-2004, 08:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
for some reason EVERYONE thinks they are good at poker,

[/ QUOTE ]

There are three things that nobody ever admits to being bad at.
Driving
Sex
Poker

krazyace5
05-22-2004, 12:15 AM
Microbob- I missed the post on table drying up by granny and can't find it, can you bump it up?
Thanks

Losing all
05-22-2004, 12:39 AM
If he does, you know he'll have to sign it Bump erNesto Bob.

BottlesOf
05-22-2004, 04:47 AM
I would be interested in an E! True Hollywood story or VH1 where are they now type spoof on some of the classic lost 2+2ers. Does anyone have the video/computer technical know how to produce this?

I'd contribute $10 and I expect others would do the same.

MicroBob
05-22-2004, 11:45 AM
here it is....granny's not-so-dismal gloom-and-doom forecast.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/remlinker.php?Cat=&Entry=21493&F_Board=inet&Thread =687108&Main=684656