PDA

View Full Version : On the bubble with A9s- Would you call an all in by the shortstack?

AA suited
05-21-2004, 01:58 PM
Party 20+2, on the bubble (4players) and I'm #2 stack with 2k chips. short stack is to my right and has 1k chips. blinds are 100/200.

shortstack is utg and i'm button. i have A9s and he went all in. i was VERY tempted to call, but folded instead.

my reasoning is that if i call and lose then i will be the shortstack. I figure why risk it since i can afford to wait for a premium hand (jj,qq,kk,Ak).

Was that correct?

DVDerek
05-21-2004, 02:19 PM
Seems like a pretty easy fold to me. I'm guessing the blinds are probably at, what... 200/400, 150/300? Small stack probably isn't in panic mode. He's got enought to play with. I'm thinking he's on a pocket pair from 88-JJ. Fold and hope the big stack calls him.

The majority of my 4th place finishes come from situations such as this. I take it upon myself to knock out 4th place and end up finishing 4th myself. Big whole in my game I'm trying to close.

MVicuna
05-21-2004, 05:28 PM
Hi,

This is a close call. He's about to blind out 1/3 of his stack so he has to play a hand in the next 5 hands and needs to double up to have any chance.

You need to know how he plays. How tight is he? Is he able to go all in with pairs less then 9? 2 big cards? Any hand with an Ace in it?

I'd open/raise/push with hands a lot weaker then A9s 4 handed if I only had 1k at the 100/200 blind mark.

1. Take advantage of peoples willingness to fold on the bubble.
2. I truely need chips.
3. 4 handed I'm likely to hold the only Ace and can still win if my opponent doesnt improve to a pair.

MarkV.

Roman
05-22-2004, 12:04 AM
the blinds were 100/200.

To me this is a really close call, but I usually see people push in these situations with and good king/any ace/QJ/Q10 and all low PP. If you want a good shot at first I would prolly try to gamble to win, otherwise fold and try to squeek into third.