PDA

View Full Version : WSOP results......a sign of the times?

PokerPaul
05-21-2004, 01:25 PM
just scanned all of the results from the events to date.

Seems the likes of Daniel N, Fischman, and a couple of other top names are having a good showing.

However, many of the 'elite' players are barely showing up in any of the money finishes, and the 1 or two times they do, they barely get more than their buyin back.

For instance:

Amir Vehedi
Phil Ivey
Gus Hansen
Doyle Brunson
Moneymaker
Darden

and to a degree phil hellmuth, although he started getting some bigger money finishes in the last week.

Guess the huge influx of new poker players is diluting the player base and there's just way more people competing for the few top 4 spots for each event.

unome
05-21-2004, 02:47 PM
Also consider that with the boom in poker over the past year or so, the real popular (and good) players aren't playing in the tourney quite as much since things such as marketing opportunities and better ring games with a better potential earn per hour exist while the world series is going on.

I wouldn't be surprised if you looked it up to see that Ivey has entered less WSOP events this year as opposed to the past few years...

Yeknom58
05-21-2004, 07:05 PM
I think the total opposite is happening. You need to look at the results more closely. It appears to me that a large majority of the events are being won by poker pro's not joe blow off the street. This is a list of the more well know winner this year.
Event/Winner
#3, Ted Forrest
#4, Aaron Katz
#6, Minh Nguyen
#10, Cindy Violette
#14, Hasan Habib
#15, Daniel Negreanu
#16, Barry Greenstein
#17, Kathy Liebert
#19, Annie Duke
#21, Antonio Esfandiari
#23, Ted Forrest
#26, TJ Cloutier
#29, John Hennigan

Stew
05-21-2004, 07:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the total opposite is happening. You need to look at the results more closely. It appears to me that a large majority of the events are being won by poker pro's not joe blow off the street. This is a list of the more well know winner this year.
Event/Winner
#3, Ted Forrest
#4, Aaron Katz
#6, Minh Nguyen
#10, Cindy Violette
#14, Hasan Habib
#15, Daniel Negreanu
#16, Barry Greenstein
#17, Kathy Liebert
#19, Annie Duke
#21, Antonio Esfandiari
#23, Ted Forrest
#26, TJ Cloutier
#29, John Hennigan

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the same thing...good post.

Also, go to www.pokerpages.com (http://www.pokerpages.com) and look at the Cash finishes list on the front page. Elite players dominate that list.

Frozen
05-22-2004, 06:35 AM
Layne Flack very quiet too this year.

Frozen
05-23-2004, 01:53 AM
Gutshot reporting that Flack is playing this years big one while DRUNK. I'm now convinced that his successes last year will probably never be repeated. He's a charismatic, funny guy... but an overrated poker player IMO.

http://www.gutshot.co.uk/wsop2004dayone.php