PDA

View Full Version : turn bet?

jt1
05-21-2004, 01:14 PM
Party poker 3-6. multi tabling and a new player is our antagonist.

It's folded to me on the button. I raise with AQo. SB re-raises. BB folds. I cap just to maintain the lead. He calls.

10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I've flopped a nut gutshot with an overcard. He checks. I bet.

Turn is a blank. He checks. I bet.

River is a blank. He checks. I check.

So what do you all think of the turn bet?

Results in white:

<font color="white"> </font> He showsdown a pair of fives.

jt1
05-21-2004, 01:20 PM

StellarWind
05-21-2004, 01:28 PM
I think this is a hard board for the reraiser to completely miss. You probably cannot fold him on the turn and if you do he was behind with only 3-6 outs.

I would hate to be checkraised on the turn with so many outs in my hand. I suggest that you take a free card and call the river. Who knows, you might even induce a bluff.

jt1
05-21-2004, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I suggest that you take a free card and call the river. Who knows, you might even induce a bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Had I taken the free card on the turn, I would have folded to a river bet. Do you find that you catch a lot of bluffers after taking the free card?

jt1
05-21-2004, 02:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I suggest that you take a free card and call the river. Who knows, you might even induce a bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Had I taken the free card, I would have folded to a river bet. Do you find that you catch a lot of bluffers after taking the free card?

gamblore99
05-21-2004, 02:33 PM
I think the turn bet is weak. He might be afraid of that flop, but since u checked it, hell probably call u down with a PP, middle pair, and he might raise with them or worse. id just take the free card

Bob T.
05-21-2004, 03:01 PM
Had I taken the free card on the turn, I would have folded to a river bet. Do you find that you catch a lot of bluffers after taking the free card?

Yes. At least enough to justify my calls, remember they only have to be bluffing one out of five times or so for you to breakeven. I would guess that the actual number is a lot higher than that.

I also find that once I have caught someone, they tend to fold more often in my pots, because they have lost one of the ways that they might be able to win the hand, so my bluffs/ semibluffs, thin value bets have a little more value.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

ddubois
05-21-2004, 04:45 PM
Is this something you only do when checked to on the flop, and you had bet flop for a free-card?

When I am bet into and raise the flop for a free card (say AK on a T83 flop with backdoor), check through the turn, and get bet into the river, I fold if I missed. I can't imagine calling and being shown a worse ace-high, not even 20% of the time.

StellarWind
05-21-2004, 05:24 PM
You'd be surprised how often you can catch a bluff. The key to these situations is to consider the details:

1. Be alert. Realize that your weak turn check begs for a bluff. You've shown high overcards (assuming PF raise) that can beat a busted draw but denied a real hand. Your opponent has clear motive to try and steal this pot.

2. Put him on some hands. Is check-calling a draw consistent with this board and this opponent? In your T83 example, could he have an OESD or would he have bet the flop? Is he enough of a nitwit to call the flop with KQ no draw? Could he have a flush draw? In order to bluff he needs opportunity--a hand that is still here but cannot beat AK.

3. Count noses. Don't expect him to bluff a total bust into a five-handed pot. Heads up or 3-way are the times to be suspicious. But beware of what I call partial bluffs. Sometimes it becomes sort of obvious that no one in a multiway pot has a pair. Then a limper like AT may bet the river from EP. He's not really trying to bluff several opponents. He expects to beat them the old-fashioned way. The only person being bluffed is you, the PF raiser, because you have him outkicked. This is an unusual situation but very gratifying when you get it right--either as bluffer or bluff-catcher. I once called a suspicious 5-way pot with a busted A9 draw after someone bet the river from the button. He produced A8.

4. Beware of overcalling. The number one problem for bluff catching is being right but losing to a third party. If someone has already called the bluffer you need a plan for beating both of them and the caller is not bluffing.