PDA

View Full Version : Question on Strategy-Tactics:

Baulucky
05-21-2004, 11:37 AM
How would you counter/play, at NLHE, against a player that does this:

1-Sits at a NL populated table online, plays ultra-tight, doesn't mind you stealing his blinds (as if he gets some subsidy from somewhere- lower limit games?), and plays only to double-thru with cinch/near cinch hands?.

The above describes my adopted style, with a few "loose" plays for ad purposes. I'm doing well at the low NL limits, and wonder what "counter-strategies" are out there waiting for me at higher limit games.

Thanks in advance.

Acesover8s
05-21-2004, 12:13 PM
The strategy is simple, I don't pay you off. As you get into tougher games opponents become more aware and won't give you any action and you will be blinded off.

I wouldn't recommend you move to higher limits if you're afraid to play once you've doubled through (see your other post).

jdl22
05-21-2004, 12:15 PM
Two I can think of off the top of my head:

1. steal your blinds (duh)
2. play a pp against your raise and wait for you to overplay aces or TPTK when I have a set.

The problem with this strategy which I'm sometimes also guilty of playing is that if you're going to play super tight it will only work if you get paid off handsomely when you get prime hands. To do so you run the risk of going too far with an overpair and such. As you move up you will find that there are a few (but not many fortunately) that figure out what you're doing and either don't pay you off or will crack your big hands because they know what you're holding.

Baulucky
05-21-2004, 12:21 PM
Thanks for your reply.

I am the one generally getting action (and slowplaying/trapping till there's enough in the pot that my raise will be called as my opponent is pot-committed).

How do you exploit having twice-thrice the stack of any other player at the table?. I tend to move when another player stack can take more than my max. risk for my current BR, otherwise I stay.

Baulucky
05-21-2004, 12:25 PM
Thanks for your reply. I always limp-reraise Aces or play them for a minimal raise, preferably in steal-position hoping for a re-raise. Many times I dump my unimproved AA on the flop, unless I can continue cheaply.

Phishy McFish
05-21-2004, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Many times I dump my unimproved AA on the flop, unless I can continue cheaply.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again...you must be playing on an entirely higher level than me....how do you ever PLAY a hand out?

Baulucky
05-21-2004, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Again...you must be playing on an entirely higher level than me....how do you ever PLAY a hand out?

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt I play on any kind of "high" level. Basically what I do is I ask myself at every juncture if I have the best hand or close or implied odds to draw to the nuts. Every time I do not have the implied odds to draw I check or fold. If I have the (or close to) best hand possible, then I try to build the pot (if it is small), and/or make the drawing hands pay a ridiculous price to draw and/or or trap the agressors to build it for me. If the pot is big, I take it (push in), with or without the possible caller's money.

Nothing sophisticated really, too basic to be a permanent solution. That's why I'm here: To learn more.

george w of poker
05-21-2004, 03:38 PM
call a lot of preflop raises from you with xx if its heads up then take the pot from you on the turn or river.

Baulucky
05-21-2004, 03:45 PM
You'd win money from me most of the time, albeit little. That is if I don't trap you once (or re-bluff you).